gathering eggs

momaroo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
How long can eggs stay in the nest before I gather them and still have them be safe to eat??

Maybe I didnt make my self clear. We were out of town for a few days. When I returned there were 5 eggs in the nest. They had probably been there for a few days in 85 degree weather. Are they safe to eat? When I am home, I gather them every day, but that is not always possible. Do they go bad after a few days in the nest?

As the last two said, it should be fine. We've accidentally done the same thing, the eggs were all right.

HS Pye

Nope, dont think it was too hot, if maybe it was closer to 92 it would have been a problem, then it gets closer to breeding temp
I had the same question!! I live in Florida and the temps here have been in the upper 80's and 90's. I don't have a rooster, so my eggs aren't fertilized. They won't "hatch", but is there a temperature limit they are NOT safe at, and for how long? My husband was asking me, and I don't have a clue. I'm allergic to yellow flies, so I can't do the egg gathering while he's at work. They swarm me when I walk outside, and the hen house is a long way from the house. Only one of my three is currently laying, and it's her habit to lay between 10:30 and 12:00, during the heat of the day. My husband doesn't get over there to check it until 6:00 or 7:00 in the evening. Anybody know? I would appreciate any feedback!

Here the temps have been high 80's low 90's. I had several days I wasn't able to get eggs until evening, the eggs were fine. I did clean them and put in fridge. I have even left eggs on the counter for a few days and they were still fine. We don't use A/C so the eggs were in warm temps. When temps get 100+ I try to collect the eggs often, we have a Roo still getting his technique down so don't want to leave eggs out with no broody hen.

If in doubt put egg in water, if it floats don't break it open will be rotten. A good egg will be on the bottom, maybe tilt the air end up but not float.

Back
Top Bottom