Gatorade for chickens?

drinkoj

Chicken Chaser
May 24, 2020
Upstate South Carolina
I have read many posts talking about giving electrolytes to the chickens when it's very hot outside, and now I'm wondering if Gatorade will work for them?

I find a little humor in this if it is okay to use, as I have SBS and need to drink fluids with electrolytes (Gatorade powder) to keep me hydrated daily. Just the idea that me and the chickens can enjoy a cool cup of the same beverage kinda makes me laugh a little.

No. Gatorade is BAD for chickens. It's mostly sugar and they don't need sugar. It makes them fat, just like us! Read the ingredients on the label. The first 2 ingredients are sugar and dextrose, which is also sugar! I know you want to share with your chickens, but they shouldn't have Gatorade! Share some watermelon with them, that is good for both of you! :D

No. Gatorade is BAD for chickens. It's mostly sugar and they don't need sugar. It makes them fat, just like us! Read the ingredients on the label. The first 2 ingredients are sugar and dextrose, which is also sugar! I know you want to share with your chickens, but they shouldn't have Gatorade! Share some watermelon with them, that is good for both of you! :D

Thanks, just found humor in the idea of that. The garden does have a watermelon growing in it for the wife, so she'll get to share it with them once it produces.

Gatorade has more sugar than what's needed for chickens in its formulation. There are better things to use besides gatorade incuding a homeade electrolyte formula. Just because it's hot outside doesn't necessarily mean they need electrolytes. Electrolytes are basically salts or chlorides that get lost in exhertion (thats the reason sweat tastes salty). Regular water and feed contain some salts, though maybe not enough to replenish what may have been lost.

Back
Top Bottom