Gauge and layering of wire for run in WNC?

I live south of fontana dam, 3 miles south of the western smoky mountains. 80 percent of the land in this county is gov forest. I have about 1/2 to a 1/2 acre grassed, and the rest is surrounded by tall trees. Behind my house is nothing but forest. So lots of predators. I don't have a dog, so nothing to chase them off. I'm just not sure what kind of electric fence kit to buy. Looks like I'd be better off ordering it in parts. It is unlikely a bear will come, but it is always possible. I know there are coyotes nearby and I have seen a bobcat 1/4 mile or less from my house. Tons of possums. I saw a raccoon not too far off. It is pretty wet here. There is a creek 50 feet from the coop, and also a small spring fed brook like 6 feet from it. Rains quite often. The coops were there when I bought the house, but they need to be cleaned thoroughly, reinforced and fixed up. I need to build one secure run. Then I plan on having several decent sized lightweight "chicken tractors" for when I am home. Maybe some chicken "tunnels." Whatever I can do to let them roam a little without a hawk attack. Hawks are fearless and it's hard to spot them in the trees. I had planned on free ranging, but after a hawk came down 2 feet away from me while I was moving them from temporary outside enclosure to inside the house in their temporary sleeping pen, I know that's not possible. I will try to make larger areas that are hawk/dog proof. But I need at least one really secure run for when I can't be home during day. Materials are a lot more expensive than I thought. I'm trying to find the least expensive ways to get the final result I need. Wire fencing is PRICEY. I have 30 bantams right now, but will probably try to sell off some excess roosters. But that's tough. I know for sure i have one roo, but he's my sweety pie, so I'm hesitating selling. I get attached and worry a new home won't be good to them. What a pickle, lol.

Maybe after considering what you need to spend on materials, this might be an alternative idea. I used a welded wire dog kennel from TSC, it can be made predator proof.
I put a roof on it. You can buy extra panels if you need it bigger and they also sell extra gate panels. Just a thought

I would use 1/2" X 1" welded wire in either 14 or 16 gauge for the bottom 2 or 3 feet of the run. Above that I would use 2" X 3" welded wire. My run was originally roofed with 2" X 3" welded wire, but I have since totally covered the run with galvanized roofing.

alot of ferral cats and dogs where i live as well as coons, skunks and possum. 1" Hex avain wire (or chicken wire/fencing) is the way to go but gets expensive. I fully enclose my runs top and sides. found the cheap way is to go with 2 hex, 6 foot high, and do in the top as well. Half the price of the 1 inch hex wire. Then I buy a short roll of 3 foot tall 1 inch hex and cut that into 1' 6" high and do from the ground up to keep critters from reaching in through the 2 inch hex. cut my costs on my runs dramatically.

I would be afraid to do only bottom in 1/2" hardware cloth, because weasels and smaller coons, etc can climb right up and in through the larger wire openings. I assumed I had to do the whole thing in 1/2 hardware cloth, and then cover that in a stronger gauge wire since possums etc can break through hardware cloth. I read chicken wire keeps nothing out. I'd love to go cheaper, but all it takes is one weasel or one possum one random night, and goodbye flock. I am dead set on the hardware cloth, I am just struggling to figure out what gauge wire for the thicker wire over it. I don't want to get a thicker gauge than I need. I'd probably do it thicker at bottom 4 feet, to ward off coyotes, and then a little lighter towards top, but something possums and coons can't chew through. I just cant get specific answers on minimal gauge wire for possums, or minimal gauge wire for coyotes. Again, I don't want to get a thicker gauge than I need, because it gets pricier the thicker you go.

Last edited:
Why are you putting thicker wire over the hardware cloth?
Just using the 1/2 x 1/2 vinyl dipped black, 16 gauge welded wire.
Looks like this.
1ABD2447-974E-4E4B-878B-F042AA57C92F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom