gauze stuck to wound

Daffodil12

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2020
One of my hens was recently injured by one of my roosters (his nails gashed her sides when he mounted her), and I cleaned it out and covered it with gauze and a wrap. Today, when I tried to remove the gauze from the wound, it was stuck. I'll use non-stick gauze next time, but any tips for removing the stuck piece? I soaked it with some water, but it didn't come off, and I'm afraid of tearing her skin more. The wound is still pretty raw.

About all you can do is wet the gauze with saline or water. Then give it some time, and remove it. It probably will debride the wound somewhat. That is actually how to debride a wound, using wet to dry dressings, and removing them. Telfa or non-adherent dressings are available and can be cut to size. Most times with chickens it can be better to apply antibiotic ojntment and leave the wound open to air. Whenyou do this, it is best to keep them isolated in a crate with a clean towel or puppy pad for bedding.

Yesterday I soaked it with some more water and peeled it off. It tore the skin a little, but she's looking better today. Thanks, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom