Gave chicks first real snacks today...now I have a question.....

If they aren't outside getting natural grit, u need to provide it when giving treats. Normally only eggs or yogurt don't require grit...pretty much everything else does. Construction sade at Home Depot is what we use. Like $4 for 60 lb bag. Hope that helps!
thumbsup.gif

No they aren't outside. It's been rainy and chilly here, like 65 degrees during the day so they haven't been out in almost a week. Thank you! Until I can get to Home Depot, can I just put a bit of outside dirt in there with them?

They won't care if it has grass or not, but they might find the grass more interesting. Also throw some sticks in there for them to perch one
big_smile.png

Just b careful that the grass isn't real long. I think I read something about chicks getting long grass stuck in their crop. I always tear the grass up when I give it to them...but I'm overly protective.
hide.gif

It may depend on the dirt in your yard whether or not this is an effective way to provide grit. The dirt in my yard is hard packed and clay-like so I provided chick grit (you can get a small bag at the feed store) when they were young and when they got treats.

Back
Top Bottom