GAWD! THE RAIN!

Alagirl

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 19, 2015
Central Alabama
It has been raining off and on since the weekend, and pretty much all day since yesterday afternoon.
I should have gotten ducks, I think. I have half of my run covered in a tarp, but it is raining so hard, I think my chicks are getting wet, no matter what.

I am feeling bad, I really did not plan for this deluge. Any ideas how to dry it in?

From the 5th, before the rains started. The cardboard corner is now quite soggy.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    690 KB · Views: 22
How old are they, again?

Do they have the option of going into a dry coop or are they in the run only with coop still in progress? (Sorry, it's hard to keep track of different people's builds).

If they're old enough to be fully feathered rather than downy and have the option of going to a dry place when they want to it's OK for them to have access to the wet run. The Brahma in my avatar is my most weatherproof bird and just last night I was laughing to see her outside in a downpour I could have washed my hair in. She foraged around for a bit then slowly strolled back into the coop.

How old are they, again?

Do they have the option of going into a dry coop or are they in the run only with coop still in progress? (Sorry, it's hard to keep track of different people's builds).

If they're old enough to be fully feathered rather than downy and have the option of going to a dry place when they want to it's OK for them to have access to the wet run. The Brahma in my avatar is my most weatherproof bird and just last night I was laughing to see her outside in a downpour I could have washed my hair in. She foraged around for a bit then slowly strolled back into the coop.
well, they are outside full-time, fully feathered, about 3 or 4 months old by now? I am losing track of time easily but they are fully feathered. I covered half of the 8 foot span with a tarp and set up cardboard around the corner, but mostly as blind, so they can get a little out of sight from the stupid dog.
They seemed happy this morning if a little hungry. The moisture had made the feed swell and kept it from pouring into the tray. It was not much left, so I just dumped the rest out for them to eat.

I had a similar set up in my old house. I used shower curtain liners I got at the dollar store and put them on the side into which the rain was blowing. Worked like a charm. You could do the same and weight down the ends with the boards over the wire apron around your run.

I think one year I had shower curtain liners on 3 sides because it was raining from all directions in the wind.

Back
Top Bottom