Gazebo - is this possible?

Also...for cost of the current build...so far I’ve spent about $400. That’s for the base frame 4x4’s, one sheet of plywood for the floor, and the framing lumber. I have yet to buy the plywood for the entire coop, and with lumber costs as high as they are, this would cost a minimum of $450 if I cheaped out and bought OSB (not a fan), or if I went with good exterior grade plywood, could cost $700. Plus roofing materials. so I’m looking at $850-$1200 for my current build, which has only gotten as far as the base. The gazebo is $450...if I can get transport for $400-$700, I’d much rather have the gazebo

Wouldn’t it be? I saw it on the marketplace and my wheels got to turning. A fresh coat of paint, some predator proofing, nest boxes and some roosting bars and she’d be a pretty gorgeous chicken chateau. I have so much leftover lumber and hardware cloth from previous projects that converting it to a coop would cost next to nothing. It’s the transporting that would cost a penny or two
If I were you I'd consider taking it apart in large pieces as someone else suggested, and moving it yourself. But then I'm a VERY cheap person! I can't see paying that much to have something moved! My husband has a trailer so it would be fairly simple for us to something like that if it were in pieces. To tell you the truth I am now fantasying about doing something similar! I have been wanting to either improve our current coop or build another one because we not only have chickens, but also turkeys and ducks and I really want the turkeys to have their own coop.

If I were you I'd consider taking it apart in large pieces as someone else suggested, and moving it yourself. But then I'm a VERY cheap person! I can't see paying that much to have something moved! My husband has a trailer so it would be fairly simple for us to something like that if it were in pieces. To tell you the truth I am now fantasying about doing something similar! I have been wanting to either improve our current coop or build another one because we not only have chickens, but also turkeys and ducks and I really want the turkeys to have their own coop.
We also thought of doing this...only issue is the roof. Would we just cut it off and re-attach it? I’m not well versed in carpentry, but I seem to have be able to do basic things
And go for it! Heck, build another one! What’s one more coop? 😉

So...I already have 14 chickens. Spent all last summer long making their coop a home, building the run. I thought I was done and satisfied. Until chicken math kicked in and I decided I wanted another coop to be able to have more chickens. Started building a 4x7 pallet coop, decided I wasn’t satisfied and I’d use the pallet would for another project. Just started building a 4x8, only got the base done so far....and holy cow is lumber expensive right now. And it will be for the foreseeable future. Sheets of plywood right now are ranging from 50 for the cheap stuff to 70 for the somewhat good stuff. I priced the coop I’m building out and it would cost anywhere from 700-1000 at the very least to complete if I want to do it the right way, not including the run. SO. Got to scrounging through FB marketplace for already made coops the other day. And found this beauty. A frickin gazebo. It’s gorgeous for its age, still in really nice condition, the floor is beautiful. roof could use replacing but it’s not an immediate concern. If I wasn’t chicken crazy, I’d want it in my backyard to keep for humans lol. I saw it and started getting all these ideas on concerting it to a coop - replacing the screen with hardware cloth, in the winter making modifications to keep it warm. Wouldn’t take much at all to convert it to a coop. The issue is transport...this thing is somewhat of a monster. At the widest it’s 11’....approx. 11-12 feet high with the peak. I figured if we had to, we could cut the highest peak off and re attach it. While I know it will take some money to transport...I don’t want to break the bank. There’s a local shed moving company but according to their price list it would cost about 700 to move the thing, not including site preparation. Any ideas?
If you can afford it and have the skills to turn it into a good, predator-proof coop, I say go for it! It's beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom