G'day

Ann Egan

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
My name is Ann I live in Queensland Australia. Here's a little bit about me - as per the prompts when I joined. (aren't I compliant) :)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Nope, not new to chickens. I got my first chicken when I was about 10 (over 40 years ago), he came home in a hessian sack destined for the pot. He was a beautiful jungle type fowl. My job was to feed him a cup of wheat every morning. He learnt to crow outside my bedroom window when it was brekky time. He was with us for a while then discovered there were hens three doors up and there he went - never to be seen again. I did speak to the man who owned the hens and he said he had settled in well.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have one Naked Neck rooster, he has a harem of Australorp X girls. These are my laying hens. (10 in total)
I have one Maran (Silver Blue Birchen Cuckoo colouring) he has two girls, 1 blue splash, 1 blue copper, they've just started laying this week. (3)
I have 18 chicks at various stages of growth, all Naked Neck progeny. Pullets will be sold, cockerels will be dinner.
I currently have 40 quail eggs in the incubator.

(3) What breeds do you have?

See above.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Eggs, meat, they're easy to look after and are entertaining. I'm hoping to get in breeding the Maran's for different colour variations.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Cooking and gardening.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Empty nesters, dog, horse, cleaner.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Have known about BYC for a while, however since I'm a member of two other chicken forums (Australian ones), I have hesitated to join. After reading the post of Quail (which led me here), I decided to join.

@Ann Egan Hi and welcome to BYC! Expect many warm welcomes here! We love new members!
-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Back
Top Bottom