Geese as night guards for home

bitambo

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2021
Greetings from Kampala - Uganda
There was a break in at my home just over 24 hours, climbed over wall after cutting razor wire.
They took a neighbor's side mirrors for his Subaru but did not touch my ramshackle Hardbody.
They will come back, we had a night watchman some 5 years back for a short time but were told he would move out as soon as we would fall asleep.
Our yard has about 25 square meters of grass, could be cheaper than a dog or man if it can work.

Qns
1) can geese guard at night? just noise on seeing an intruder
2) we have 3 families in the enclosure, sometimes up to 9 kids of 10 years and younger, dangers?
3) will they allow us to sleep?
4)

thanks

I'm sorry to hear about the break-in. It's so unsettling when someone violates your home.

I have limited experience with geese; I just have two American Buff girls. While they will USUALLY alert me when someone is approaching the yard, they aren't completely reliable. Also, mine might run at someone and hiss, but at heart they are both big babies and will turn and run if the person stands his ground.

I have solar lights to alert me if there is a predator near my coops. Could you use some kind of solar light to wake you if someone was moving around your premises?

Best of luck in solving your problem! If you do get geese, feel free to ask any and all questions. This is a great group of helpful people who will make you feel welcome.

Geese will honk if they hear a noise, typically if they think someone they know is up and about, but if they’re scared their instinct is to be quiet, geese are more fragile than they let on and know that their best defense is to go unnoticed, so silence is preferred.
Geese will wake up in the night and honk back and forth between each other to establish all is well and everyone is present also.

If someone or something they don’t know enters their territory their typical response is to fear it and run away, so they won’t actually defend your property.

Geese can develop a habit of chasing small children, not always, it depends on their personality, geese can bite pretty well and hit with their wings, it isn't enough to cause serious injury but they can give pretty bad bruises if they want to.

So in simplest terms:
Geese will alert you if someone is on the property but they will not if they’re scared.
They aren’t capable of protecting your yard.
They will intimidate children but can’t cause serious injury.

Overall a dog honestly is a better choice if you’re looking for an animal to reliably alert you to intruders,

To me it sounds like you want a cheep pet that will wake you or alert you if someone is on the property? Is this correct? If you looking for an animal to attack, or defend you property, a dog is a better choice.

If you just want something to wake you geese are probably a decent choice. Like mentioned above they aren't the most reliable, and will llikly prefer to stay quite if they feel threatened. I have no expense with geese, but I have some very noisy ducks. I've never been in a situation were a predator or person has some on the property at night, but I know the ducks will wake and quack to each other if they hear something.
They also quack VERY loudly if they're hungry, and see a person moving outside the house. Not sure if this is the same for geese, but I wonder if taking away food at night would make them honk if they heard a person, expecting food?
This is an interesting topic, I hope you find a solution to your problem. I'm so sorry your having to deal with this, its very uneasy knowing someone may break into your home.
Hopefully you can find a solution soon.

:welcome

Egyptian Geese are often used as gaurds. In fact, they used to gaurd the Egyptian's temples because they were so good. You might have to check with your area to make certain they're not illegal first. In some places they're illegal due to how aggressive they are. But I bet if it's discovered that you have something like that around, the theft is sure to stay away in fear. ;)

Greetings from Kampala - Uganda
There was a break in at my home just over 24 hours, climbed over wall after cutting razor wire.
They took a neighbor's side mirrors for his Subaru but did not touch my ramshackle Hardbody.
They will come back, we had a night watchman some 5 years back for a short time but were told he would move out as soon as we would fall asleep.
Our yard has about 25 square meters of grass, could be cheaper than a dog or man if it can work.

Qns
1) can geese guard at night? just noise on seeing an intruder
2) we have 3 families in the enclosure, sometimes up to 9 kids of 10 years and younger, dangers?
3) will they allow us to sleep?
4)

thanks
Rhodesian Ridgebacks will keep you and your belongings safe.

ETA: Boerboel would be a good dog breed as well and on offer in Uganda.

Last edited:
thanks for your replies,

We got a person to help guard at night, I hope it lasts longer than 2015 - Planning to improve lighting, neighbour has added an alarm to his car.
I will look at the feeding habits of ducks as suggested by Weeg, then a pair of ducks and a a pair of geese (if safe with kids) plus lighting and car alarms will be enough to scare the boys!

I shall definitely have the dogs for the piggery planned with my bro, some 200km away in a more rural area, theft of animals is rampant across Uganda!

Last edited:
Chinese geese are often used as guards, too. They are loud and persistent honkers. As Goosebaby said, some geese like children and some don't. They are more likely to like them if the children are the ones who feed them. Both ducks and geese can be fun pets for children, and teaches them the responsibility of caring for animals. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom