Geese Breeding Season?

Mfarms13

In the Brooder
May 9, 2020
We recently got some adult geese, we’ve never had them before so i’m not sure how their breeding season works. The man we got them from had to give them away due to cars hitting them, he gave us the ganders first and the females stayed because they were on nests, both nests failed and now they are here. They currently live in the pasture but are locked up at night, will they start to lay again this year, and how will I be able to tell/find the nest?

What breed are they? Most are done for the year but some are still laying.
Mine made nest on the ground this year but I moved about 3 weeks into the laying season. Normally mine lay and brood their goslings in dogloos. I have found them on CL for free or around $10 each. The XL fit 2 mommas and 10+ babies easily.

Well im not sure about where you live,but here in South Africa, breeding season generally begins with the onset of rainy season. July-Feb but normally peak Aug-Nov. Geese usually breed once a year. Multiple broods are rare, only if the goose lost the first clutch on season.
When a goose is about to lay, she act somehow - like a lost person. Shell pick things, throw them side-side. And the breast-like between her legs become large(but not all geese have it).
Any place can be used for nest. Geese love dry grass for nesting as that it is easy to use for covering their eggs when not around.

Best wishes ✨ 🌻

Back
Top Bottom