Geese & Chickens - Can they live together?

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
I really want to get some Sebastopol geese, but I am not sure where to put them. Can they be in with the chickens? Where do yours live?? I have a really large run attached to the coop. My coop is 10x12 or so and the run is close to 25x25. There is alot of room outside for them. Thanks for your help!

I'd say no. I raised mine together and the geese chewed up the chickens' tail feathers and would grab the chickens by the necks. They were in a large 30 x 20 run.

Back when I was a kid, I had a great setup with ducks, geese and chickens all living in the same coop/run. The run had a huge watering pool,The metal kind, 3 feet tall, and an 8 foot circle for the ducks and geese to swim in. I made a water fall in it, and surrounded it with rocks all the way to the top so you couldnt see the metal. My dad and I had that set up soooo beautifully!Anyways, I came home from school on day, and my aracauna had drowned.
sad.png
A week later a cornish x drowned as well. About two weeks later I came home from a friends house, and found the two geese we had holding my black cochin under the water. I saved her thank goodness. But, I was sad, and hated the geese. I gave them away to a friend. So................I would say,,,,your chickens are in grave danger living with geese. Just my experience though.

i have a neighbour who keeps one goose in with his chickens all summer. she lives with a hen and a developmentally delayed roo in the winter. she's the sole survivor of a coyote attack that took the other seven geese and she gets along well with the chickens.

I had my sebbies in with the chickens all last year and they did fine. The chickens learned to get out of the way.

I don't know about what would happen though during breeding season. My chickens all moved into the new facility and just the ducks and geese have the outside world to their selves now.

Do you have a pen or place to move them for a couple months while they breed?

I had my Chinese Goose with my chickens for awile. They got along just fine. In fact the Goose thought she was mamma and guarded the chickens. It was my wife who couldn't live with the Goose. Goose would bite/nip my wife if we walked outside together. If it was just me or just her the Goose was fine. Most of the time.
Looked out the widow one afternoon to see wife holding the goose off the ground by the neck yelling at it. It was hillarious. Goose had nipped her on the butt while she was bent over pulling a weed. Goose never bit her butt again, but still would nip at her if we went out together. SO........Goose tasted really, really good.

Geese shouldn't be "cooped" but she be allowed to range during the day. They can then be trained to "go to bed" in a coop only at night. But, keeping them in any confined space is just going to create a wet and muddy mess.

My geese are indifferent towards chickens. There is no real bond amongst them.

Thanks for all the replies!! We are in the process of putting up fencing around our pasture (about 4 1/2 acres worth) for our Dexter Cows and our Pygmy Goats, it sounds like that may be the best place to put Geese. Now, to get me some Sebbies!!!
smile.png

So the problem is only one of aggression on the geese's part? The property we're acquiring has a huge coop and I wanted to partition part of it to raise the goslings until they are old enough to put in their little pasture. Then they'll have nothing more to do with chickens, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom