Geese courtship questions...

farmdude

Songster
10 Years
Sep 20, 2009
NE Wisconsin
Canadian geese are monogamous right? do they mate for life?
Are Canadian geese crossed with domestic geese monogamous? (meaning their hybrid offspring?)
Are any domestic geese monogamous?
I got a pair of African geese this summer. They never leave each others side. I have a "spare" Emden female. Was wondering if the african male will breed her next spring as well?
Thank you.

Quote:
In theory married humans are monogamous right? Does that keep either party from having something on the side? Even the ones that are fairly good about such things are tempted to mate a spare female while his mate is broody.

Good point Goosedragon! Thanks for your reply.
I was at swap meet yesterday and someone was selling Canadian/Grey goose crosses. It got me thinking.

I think Canada X domestic geese hybrids are sterile. Anyone know for sure? Although most pairs bond for life, ganders are not above getting a little on the side. Especially while their mate is brooding.

I hadn't heard before that the hybrids were "mules'. But that would make sense as I have never heard of a domestic breed decending from Canadians or having any of their blood in their ancestry. Thanks for your reply and your comment, "getting some on the side" made me laugh out loud.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom