geese cross breeds Embden x Landes possibility

Any bird by nature will attempt to sit and hatch young. Some aren't bother but still would.

I've heard people say that incubated birds won't hatch their own young or brood when older and that is 100% false. All my geese were all incubated by me except 1 gander. This year my female hatched out 6 goslings and has done every year.

A female will always try and sit on eggs regardless if she has the right environment. Geese locked in a pen with not much room has a higher chance of not sitting on eggs.

Make sure that none of the females brood in the same nest because it will be a disaster.

The gander should be fine and will guard. It's only a problem when there is more than 1 gander.

Some geese will lay in the same nest box and fights will break out and this is usually how dominant females lose their position of being alpha which is during nest fights but usually they will sit on one nest even if they hate eachother.

But I would not recommend 2 geese brooding on one nest.

This used to be my goose flock 5 years ago :)

Now I've 12. I'm just sticking to African geese due to the fact they are rare and hard to find
400 (3).jpeg
400 (2).jpeg
400.jpeg

wow, you have amazing flock and extensive area for them. It was not easy for us to find a place close to our capital cause of work and big enough to hold poultry animals.
I've seen africans there on market one brown and one white gander. i've seen a regular white and gry kholmogory and one was silver kholmogory gander. only some tolouse and only once the emdens, from all of these big the emdens are most beautifull however the africans have black beeks and brown feathers and emdens are only white, tolouse and kholmogory are big etc.
original plan was to have an emden gander and one khomogory female one african and one tolouse geese. but i'm keeping to landes, i was able to pet on of them again today, her feathers on neck and head are so fluffy, how could remove her from my flock???
are you sellign your geese or keeping all for your self for kitchen? our freezer is already filled up and there are more ducks and chickens outside, at least they are still fresh :)
i've checked on all the animals outside as usuall and the two emdens are fine, they are calm, they are aware especially the gander is, but they seems to adjusted themselves quickly, much better than the young goslings we bought this year. they were big already and still were chased away buy the landes females.

Since African geese are so rare I breed them and sell the goslings to people who want to join bring the African breed back to life in Ireland and make them common. I rarely eat my geese because it would be a very expensive dinner haha

we've just released the geese and ducks to the vegetable garden to clean up as most of the fruits are already collected. they seems to be happy again for moment till there is some green they can forage. Once again they like to eat corn which was put to water for like 24hrs. they are able to eat full plate of it.

Corn is one of their favourite things to eat. They love vegetables and fruits especially apples.

They are good to have when you finish your vegetable garden because they will eat and stand on all the unwanted plants until all the green is gone.

yes we are aware what they like to eat, we are buying them pekin cabbage and apples during winter time, its cheap so they have at least something beside of wheat and corn.

Hey Mate, we got something strange happening, we found a goose nest outside with like 8 eggs, they made a nest in grass. We are not sure if they are fertile as the gray landes has been spotted there, if its only from one or from more at the same nest.
it's too late or too early to have eggs we think, on the other hand if they are laying now, would they on end of winter when it should be?

Attachments

• IMG_20191012_092810.jpg
    IMG_20191012_092810.jpg
    684.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Since African geese are so rare I breed them and sell the goslings to people who want to join bring the African breed back to life in Ireland and make them common. I rarely eat my geese because it would be a very expensive dinner haha
By African do you mean super African? I notice the geese in your profile pic have dewlaps

Back
Top Bottom