geese cross breeds Embden x Landes possibility

Hey Mate, we got something strange happening, we found a goose nest outside with like 8 eggs, they made a nest in grass. We are not sure if they are fertile as the gray landes has been spotted there, if its only from one or from more at the same nest.
it's too late or too early to have eggs we think, on the other hand if they are laying now, would they on end of winter when it should be?

Sometimes(uncommon although) geese lay in fall. The reason your geese are probably laying is because there is a gander present now. They've never mated and the gander could've triggered your females to become hormonal.

He could've mated with your females without you knowing it.

They could be fertile.

Your geese will still lay in Spring if they hatch no goslings.

By African do you mean super African? I notice the geese in your profile pic have dewlaps

Yes those are my Brown African geese :)

In Europe there is only African geese, there is no such thing as "Super" African geese over here.

Metzers "Super African" geese are the actual African geese whereas Metzers "African" geese are AfricanXChinese which look like large Chinese geese.

African geese need to have a Dewlap, Metzers "African" geese have no dewlap therefore are pure breed African geese.

Reason why I say Metzers African geese are AfricanXChinese is because they look exactly like my AfricanXChinese geese in the past.

hello again, we got like 15 eggs so far, we moved 'em to the geese house, but i've seen only one taking care of the nest (we have 3 nests and only one gained eggs one per 2 days) so seems like only one is laying now. There are enough eggs to become broody but it doesn't look they would like to be broody now, some ppl told me that it is possible for them to hatch and raise goslings in winter.
btw we've seen them several times to be mating with the gray geese, but what was strange one gray was on the other then the gander took place on the back of the goose. could the gray geese that we mistook for gander last time, be some kind of "lesbian" or it was just a game, it looked weird why one female is top on the other.
but they are lovely all 5 together, they are doing nicely.

hello again, we got like 15 eggs so far, we moved 'em to the geese house, but i've seen only one taking care of the nest (we have 3 nests and only one gained eggs one per 2 days) so seems like only one is laying now. There are enough eggs to become broody but it doesn't look they would like to be broody now, some ppl told me that it is possible for them to hatch and raise goslings in winter.
btw we've seen them several times to be mating with the gray geese, but what was strange one gray was on the other then the gander took place on the back of the goose. could the gray geese that we mistook for gander last time, be some kind of "lesbian" or it was just a game, it looked weird why one female is top on the other.
but they are lovely all 5 together, they are doing nicely.

Geese will go broody if they feel like it. Usually warm weather will trigger a goose to sit.

They can hatch in the winter but the goslings will need extra care because the weather is colder.

My female geese sometimes mate with females too. I don't know why they do that but my guess is that it is a form of dominance.

hello, after a longer time, New Year is here, and the laying season should start but we have several issues and we are not sure what to do.

1. there is a chicken flu striking around, and we had to enclose all our animals, they are now in smaller places as they were used to. Geese were closed to their house One Embden Gander with the embden goose and +3 Landes smaller females in their goose house 3.6x 3 m building.
2. after one week we found out that the Gander is bullying one of the grey females, the (lightergrey female from 3 landes) her, her feathers on wings are messy and he was biting her and chasing her away inside the barn. area was overcrowded and messed up, it seems it is too small for all of them to be hidden there for several weeks.

so we were thinking about what would be the best how to resolve and today we've opened the barn door to release them to their land, so now they are in open air area which is risky cause of the flu, but on the other hand they were suffering when enclosed. We've found two eggs (one in each nest) already.

other two gray landes looks ok, no hostile action from the gander, we've seen the gander mating with the grays only, not with the white one.

we're afraid that if we keep them closed they stress more and will suffer, no eggs and no babies to hatch. on the other hand we are now afraid of higher. risk.

we were thinking to separate them, or to put the bullied one, elswhere. they were stressed inside all the time and they are calm when they are outside again.

any advice what could we do ?

Where are you located @Eric Rosario I know Bird flu isn't something to mess around with but I'd be very concerned about your one female too. Sometimes a gander will try and run off other females. and since they were closed off in tight quarters he wasn't able to actually run her off so he picked on her. Maybe figure out whos laying and keep those 2 with the gander if he is being nice to them But honestly I'd try and fix them up with something larger so they will be safe and all that are together are safe too. Geese really don't like to be closed up, mine don't mind at night but boy they are ready to come out in the morning.

we are in Slovakia, there was announced flu in Poland (north from us), later in our country too, now it's in Hungary (south from us) and Cech rep (west) so its all around, they are warning that wild geese are migrating, ducks too.
if we close them for night and release them during the day it would be the same as we keep them free all the time.
there are no other birds around (ducks are closed in cellar under our house they are fine thy got window, fresh air light) all the hens and roos are in room in other old house they are doing fine too.
Geese were the only who actually remained on their origin stationary just closed up, we have no other options to bring them closer. if we try to construct quikly something for them, how big should be the area? i was thinking to create a fence with cover in front of their house to enlarge their closed area, but not sure if this would be enough, how big it should be?

The Book of Geese which is like the best we have here in the US for information says 25-50sq ft of ground space in the yard per goose, if they are going to be contained then 100sq ft of ground space. per goose . Housing should be 71/2 to 10 sq foot of floorspace per bird this will help keep the pen cleaner and prevent birds from fighting or picking at each other. I don't know how easy this will be for you but it might be the only way to keep your gander from injuring any of your females.

I am sorry y'all are going through this it's very scary for our birds. Glad for the most part your keeping everyone safe.
We've had bird flu break outs here n the US thankfully nothing around us.

thank you, we are about to buy and construct them a bigger outer covered cage that could be attached to the barn, it should be delivered and ready maybe within one week hopefully.

btw now the second day all the geese looks fine, no more chasing away, just i'm curious if she is chasing this one away, if he mated her? maybe all her eggs will be infertile. Gander did not even mated the white emden, at least we have not seen it yet.

Back
Top Bottom