Geese gone broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dracoe19, May 28, 2012.

1. dracoe19

dracoe19 Songster

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I have 2 female geese that have gone broody. Right now I am wondering if their eggs are ever fertile. I have a gander and I have hatched eggs from him before so I know he is doing his job. But one is sitting on 12 eggs! The other I have no idea yet. They have been sitting a while so I would have thought something would have hatched by now but nothing. I am wondering should I kick them off their nests so I can candle their eggs? I have already accidentally scared one off a nest when I had to clean out part of their coop. I found a few eggs that fell out of the nest so I took them and cracked them open. No development may have just been infertile. She came back 10 minutes later so I wasn't to worried about the eggs. They also keep switching nests as well... The brown chinese who has been sitting has been doing so for ...hmmm... about 3 weeks or more I think... The other goose started last week and I don't know if she took some of the brown girls eggs or made her own nest. So what should I do? Wait more and see what happens or candle and get rid of dud eggs? I want them to hatch their own because if they are willing hey why should I get in the way of that? More room in my incubator!

Here are some pictures. In that nest counted 12. Those are just the ones I can see in the nest....[​IMG][​IMG]

2. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Tis the season. I have one broody on eggs, One with 3 chicks and a Call duck with one chick. I would just leave them and let nature be. Have Fun. They are so fun to watch.

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    We've had 3 broody geese so far this year, so I feel for you lol. Since the one has been setting for about 3 weeks, those eggs should be fairly close to hatching. You can candle if you want, but you don't have to. I always have a hard time resisting and usually do candle at least once lol. Good luck with them.

4. dracoe19

dracoe19 Songster

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    Alrighty sounds like I'll just let them be for now and if I get reallllly curious candle :p. Hopefully more little goslings will be running around soon! Good luck to everyone with broody mamas! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: