Geese in the Garden

LisabethBrooke

Chirping
5 Years
May 16, 2014
This year we plan on planting a garden - several actually. Fruit, vegie and flower. Our Toulouse Goose (male) and Ebden goose (female) are wonderful at keeping the snakes out of the yard. However they are convinced that THEY own the yard. My question is - Is there any way other than building a fence to keep them out of the gardens? And preferably off of the door step and walk way, we're really tired of having to play hopscotch with the goose poop.
Thank You!

welcome-byc.gif
Geese are frequently used as 'weeders' in fruit orchards. Geese do eat a lot of roughage which results in LOTS of poop.
idunno.gif

Oh they are amazing at eating the grass and various weeds that grow in our yard - The Gander loves dandelions. We almost didn't have to mow last year. But the poo on the walk way is ridiculous. He seems to favor pooping there. Also wondering if there are certain things we shouldn't plant incase they're poisonous. I'd hate to poison my geese.

will geese eat up a vegetable garden?
how tall of a fence would i need to keep them out?

Oh they are amazing at eating the grass and various weeds that grow in our yard - The Gander loves dandelions. We almost didn't have to mow last year. But the poo on the walk way is ridiculous. He seems to favor pooping there. Also wondering if there are certain things we shouldn't plant incase they're poisonous. I'd hate to poison my geese.
That's why they invented hoses wasn't it?
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif
anything in the night shade family is a no no waterfowl and poultry.

Last edited:
That's why they invented hoses wasn't it?
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif
anything in the night shade family is a no no waterfowl and poultry.
I never knew they invented hoses to wash away goose poo. i thought it was to water the veges they like to eat and fill the pools they like to sit in and wash the car they like to honk at, and fill the barrel to give them drinking water! Silly me!
lol.png

Also wondering if there are certain things we shouldn't plant incase they're poisonous. I'd hate to poison my geese.
As long as there's enough grass (and other good food) for them to eat, they'll avoid eating any plants that are dangerous to them. Here in Denmark some people use geese to weed their potato fields.

A fence (or a hedge) is the best way to keep geese out of the vegetables. Otherwise they'll eat what they like, and they may trample, chew, or pull out the rest.

Back
Top Bottom