Introducing new ducks/geese to an old goose - Tips?!

chickentowns

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2023
Nashville, Tennessee
Hi! I am looking for advice on if I should introduce a goose or a duck to our pond to keep an old goose company. I know NOTHING about water fowl.

We bought a farm a few years ago with a pond. The pond had 2 geese and 2 ducks on it for YEARS. They’ve been here much longer than us and live self sufficiently aside from corn my neighbor throws out as treats. They don’t have fences or shelter aside from naturally occurring trees, bushes, etc.

In the last couple years, the pairs each had their mate die off leaving one goose and one duck to pal around. Yesterday, the final duck disappeared leaving the one goose all alone. Looking for advice if I should try to introduce a companion to keep him company. Is it advised to get another goose or ducks? Are there proper steps to introduce a new duck or goose? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I know nothing about ducks or geese! I just feel bad for the lonely one.

I would tend to believe the best companion would be another goose of the opposing sex. I have seen ducks and geese cohabitate well enough don’t get me wrong but if the goose is a gander and the gander tries to mate with a duck the poor thing may get drowned just due to the sheer size difference.

I know you mentioned that the waterfowl have died off over the years, I’m assuming this was just natural age related deaths and not predation. If it was predation I’d say to get something safer for the birds to shelter in nothing fancy, could be an old dogloo behind some fencing or whatnot.

As for the introduction of new waterfowl to the current goose, it depends on the age/size of the new addition in relation to the current. I’ve made the mistake of placing new goslings with existing geese and they get attacked/killed easily and have no defense. It’s hard to find aged birds in a pinch, so if you do have to get goslings you may have to rear them till they’re sizable enough to meet the adult goose.

Best of luck!

I would tend to believe the best companion would be another goose of the opposing sex. I have seen ducks and geese cohabitate well enough don’t get me wrong but if the goose is a gander and the gander tries to mate with a duck the poor thing may get drowned just due to the sheer size difference.

I know you mentioned that the waterfowl have died off over the years, I’m assuming this was just natural age related deaths and not predation. If it was predation I’d say to get something safer for the birds to shelter in nothing fancy, could be an old dogloo behind some fencing or whatnot.

As for the introduction of new waterfowl to the current goose, it depends on the age/size of the new addition in relation to the current. I’ve made the mistake of placing new goslings with existing geese and they get attacked/killed easily and have no defense. It’s hard to find aged birds in a pinch, so if you do have to get goslings you may have to rear them till they’re sizable enough to meet the adult goose.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much for the advice!

I’m under the impression the deaths of the previous 2 were age related as I never saw injuries or declining health on the 2 that passed. However, I will say that I don’t truly know their age. I just know they’ve been here longer than 5 years, because that’s how long we’ve been around! Unfortunately, I assume this final duck that disappeared was likely due to a predator given that we can’t find it.

I believe the goose that’s left is a female, but I’m not sure. That’s just my guess after consulting Google 🤣

Why not just buy a few adult geese of the same species? I had a pair of Toulouse geese…the female was killed by a careless driver…the male was terribly depressed…but it was very hard to find a single 2 or 3 year old female Toulouse goose….i searched Craigslist, internet…ever found a guy who had one …he wanted $200 (crazy price, but I said ok.) so I drive an hour up to the mall to meet him - he had this poor goose in a tiny cage and told me point blank that I was paying the “meat price”….that goose was traumatized…and it took 6 months for her to calm and open to the other goose , but now they are 100% best friends…my goose is happy. And I’m happy that I saved that female from continued poor treatment and eventual death.

Good on you to care! You can either get babies for the lone goose to raise or a solo goose of either gender, preferably the older the better. Avoid juvenile/yearling males. You can get more than one goose to build flock, but I'd get one at a time. Do not get more than one goose from the same seller. If you bring geese that are already bonded to each other, they will not accept the lone goose. As for introducing, just let the new goose out near the pond and other goose. They will figure things out. Good luck!

Why not just buy a few adult geese of the same species? I had a pair of Toulouse geese…the female was killed by a careless driver…the male was terribly depressed…but it was very hard to find a single 2 or 3 year old female Toulouse goose….i searched Craigslist, internet…ever found a guy who had one …he wanted $200 (crazy price, but I said ok.) so I drive an hour up to the mall to meet him - he had this poor goose in a tiny cage and told me point blank that I was paying the “meat price”….that goose was traumatized…and it took 6 months for her to calm and open to the other goose , but now they are 100% best friends…my goose is happy. And I’m happy that I saved that female from continued poor treatment and eventual death.
“Meat price” that’s a new one…
Sounds like an interesting fella.

Back
Top Bottom