Goose Eggs

Feb 12, 2024
Hi there! I know variations of these questions have been posted before, but I couldn’t find exactly in the answers. I was looking for. I have 2, month old Sebastopol geese. I just caught one of them laying an egg yesterday!!! So exciting! And there were four eggs total in the secret nest. I don’t know if my other goose is a male or a female. So of course, I’m wondering if these eggs could possibly be fertile. I have never seen the two physically interact. Neither were possessive of the nest when I went over to check it today. Neither are very outgoing.

I would love to have goslings. I have a few broody chickens I could use as mama stand ins. But not sure if I should do that? The nest is right on the edge of our pond and it’s been raining for 3 days so they are in a very wet spot. Should I leave them there? Since they are wet would they be safe to eat if I decided to go that route? Should I add anything to the area to keep it drier?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am just so excited 😆

Attachments

• A21ED3B0-2881-46C6-A611-5AD95DD83395.jpeg
    A21ED3B0-2881-46C6-A611-5AD95DD83395.jpeg
    907.3 KB · Views: 19
Move the eggs. They don't need to be wet. If you want to see if they're fertile, you could put them under a broody hen, then candle them after a week to see if there's any development.

Back
Top Bottom