geese need help

I would introduce with supervision them before putting them in together. You can never be sure of the initial response although geese can be very accepting and fostering toward other gosling.

Technically you can put them in at any time if the larger geese don't mind having them around. Usually I move mine in with the adults at around 6-8 weeks. Definitely keep an eye on them at first. If you have a gander or a motherly goose you trust, put that one in with the goslings at first. Once a single goose in a small group adopts/acecpts new geese, the others seem much more willing to go along with the idea. Plus it means you have at least one goose in the gaggle that will protect and teach the goslings.

I've had 4 Buff Embden geese for a couple years, 3 boys and 1 girl. They are very friendly and love to take bread from my hand.

A few weeks ago I bought 2 Africans and another Embden goslings at the feed store. I had them in a cage off the ground. Immediately one of the males started standing guard at the cage 24 hours a day and threatening anyone or anything that came near. I figured they wouldn't hurt the small ones so I let them out. All 3 boys started protecting them like they were their very own. The little ones are almost as big as the adults now and are still under protective custody. I had no idea they would be so parenting.

Last edited:
I was amazed when mine took up parenting duties. Amazed and a little frustrated. I didn't realize it would happen and the moment the new family got together the goose stopped laying eggs. Still, I'm glad to see them all happily getting along together. It makes putting them up at night much easier.

Back
Top Bottom