Geese next spring.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalpro24, Dec 22, 2011.

1. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    I'm hoping to get a few more ducks next spring. And with them maybe a couple of geese. Here are my questions:

. If I got geese would they be good protectors for my flock of ducks?
    . Would they bond well with my ducks?
    . What kind of breed would be best?
    . And what genders should I get if I get two geese? Two boys, two girls, or a pair? (I don't want to hatch eggs)
    -New Question- . Where would I get a pair of sexed geese?

~Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:

3. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks! I'll have to think about what breeds I want. Do you own some?

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Yes i do. I had a brown chines pair, White chinese gander, Pomeranian Gander, and i believe a female embden.

5. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I'm planning to raise one goose, imprinted to Emily, my broodhen Swede, mainly to protect the ducks (and then mainly from the Scobies).

I aggree completely with Kevin565, except that I think geese make an excellent protection system. Anyone who has childhood nightmare-memories of being attacked by a cantenkerous old gander will agree! A fellow once told me thaat he watch his embdens kill an adult coyote. Not sure if this is true, but it's possible (being attacked by a flock of geese is like being attacked by a flock of shingling hammers!).

6. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    . If I got geese would they be good protectors for my flock of ducks?
    They probably will not fight of predators but they will sound the alarm if something is wrong. You will have to be within hearing distance when their is a predator otherwise they are useless for protection. They will definitely scream when they see danger but they will also scream at almost everything else (a squirrel walking by, leaves blowing of trees, or when they just feel like announcing to their whole neighborhood that they are in a good mood).
    . Would they bond well with my ducks?
    If you use a broody duck to raise them they will probably form a closer bond than if you introduce them into the flock when they are older. One goose will definitely bond with a flock of ducks but a pair of geese will have a stronger connection to each other than with the ducks. That said, the geese will be much happier if they have another goose rather than being the only goose.
    . What kind of breed would be best?
    Some breeds like africans and chinese are much louder than others so better for sounding the alarm. I have 2 toulouse geese of which are very gently and sweet and can be loud when they want. Romans are smaller and supposed to be quieter and well tempered. Pilgrims can be auto sexed meaning the male is white and female is gray.
    Check these links for breed info
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/GooseWelcome.cfm
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/GooseBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=556662
    . And what genders should I get if I get two geese? Two boys, two girls, or a pair? (I don't want to hatch eggs)
    Since you don't want to hatch then i suggest you get two females. A gander (male) will mate with the goose and likely the ducks too which will only be a disturbance in the flock as you don't want to hatch out more geese.
    -New Question- . Where would I get a pair of sexed geese?
    Metzer farm seems popular and i think will ship a minimum of 2 geese. I bought mine from Ideal poultry and have always had good experience with them.

7. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Thank you so much for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by