Geese on a Leash?

sharpiewashere

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2015
I'm not new to keeping and raising geese, but I am new to the concept of training and imprinting. I know it's very possible to train geese to be friendly, do tricks and follow simple commands. There are videos on YouTube. There is even a video of a woman agility training a duck like a dog. I was wondering if there were any tips and tricks to training geese. We're getting a few Sebastopol goslings in the spring, and I would like to walk them on a leash, diaper train them (like Oliver the Goose on YouTube), and socialize them around people, as we do own a home business where strangers come in and out of the yard. The last thing I want is for someone, or even myself, to be attacked. Has anyone had any experience with geese and what are some things I could try?

They will also be exposed to dogs, cats, and a flock of ducks.

Last edited:
You need to start them young, imprinting works best if it's a single house goose or a couple you dedicate tons and tons of time too. Order a goose diaper online for babies and have them in it as soon as possible. There are special harnesses online you can buy, the earlier you start training the better.

You'll need to find what your goose enjoys best, use that as a reward for good behaviors. (Most likely small treats).

I wasn't sure of a goose's response to treats, or if there were other or better methods. And I do plan on getting them into diaper harnesses ASAP. Thanks for the advice!

Clicked training is an option also, you can look up videos with parrots and dogs and other animals, it's how most professional animal trainers do their work.

Okay. Thank you both. Does gender matter? I've heard females can get a little nasty during breeding season.

My house goose was a male, but unless you are going to be dedicated to training and willing to put up with gander behavior I suggest you get females

Last edited:
My house goose was a male, but unless you are going to be dedicated to training and willing to put up with gander behavior I suggest you get females

With a lot of hatcheries, you can't choose the sex with Sebastopol geese, and there aren't any breeders around here. But, I'm going to consider getting a pair of females, or if I can, one female. Thank you for your help.

With a lot of hatcheries, you can't choose the sex with Sebastopol geese, and there aren't any breeders around here. But, I'm going to consider getting a pair of females, or if I can, one female. Thank you for your help.

Please be aware if you get a single goose you're committing to 15-20 years of being a parent. They need constant attention, they are not like dogs. They will see you as their flock and they never leave their flock.

Back
Top Bottom