Geese or ducks? Which is better

If I could only have one or the other it would definitely be geese. They are more like pet dogs, whereas a flock of ducks is more like a koi pond.
lau.gif

My muscovy don't perch to sleep.

They like sitting up on a log to look around, and when I let them fly they like to sit on the top fence rails... But even then they like sleeping in a nest.

Might just be mine though... :confused:

Mine are trained to come when I call, and wag their tails like little dogs when I toss them dog food.

I've heard ducks can be just as affectionate as geese if you get a small amount. I don't have either but I'm considering getting two ducks. While I would love to have geese, I feel like it would be impractical. Just gonna spend a ton of time with them(and give em lots of treats) and hope for the best!

I've heard ducks can be just as affectionate as geese if you get a small amount. I don't have either but I'm considering getting two ducks. While I would love to have geese, I feel like it would be impractical. Just gonna spend a ton of time with them(and give em lots of treats) and hope for the best!
I have both Muscovy's and geese, I have to say my geese win over ducks. All except 1 Muscovy drake he was rejected by his mama so my dh and I became his parents. What a wonderful experience. He is now over 3 yrs and still is close to us even though he has 2 girls of his own. I also had a wonderful experience with 2 gosling this past summer. We got them at 2 days old and kept them inside for 3 weeks before giving them to our 2 adult geese to raise. Spend alot of time with your new ducks and they will be your best buds. .
smile.png

I love my goose, when you say her name she HONKS so loud in the morning! And when you sit down she walks up to you and chatters at you and sits down right in front of you so you can scratch her neck. Geese are so much better unless you need the exercise... Then the ducks are the best choice if you want to catch them!

You are all making me want a couple geese so bad! I don't know if I can in a residential neighborhood.

I love my ducks, but I do wish they were friendlier!

As long as you don't get a noisy breed you should be fine... I live in the richest part of Tennessee and everyone LOVES my goose!

So do you recommend the muscovies if in town since they are a "quackless" duck? Wanting to hatch some ducks out but can't be having the noise here in town as I'm flying under the radar here. I really would like to hatch some geese though, but am not sure they will make it past the dinner table at Christmas.

So do you recommend the muscovies if in town since they are a "quackless" duck? Wanting to hatch some ducks out but can't be having the noise here in town as I'm flying under the radar here. I really would like to hatch some geese though, but am not sure they will make it past the dinner table at Christmas.

There is no way that you could have quiet geese (that I know of
hu.gif
)

The Muscovy are VERY quiet, much quieter than a flock of hens. I sold a few of my Muscovy ducklings to someone in town.

They are not good egg layers, they like to lay until they have a good sized clutch, then they like to go broody. They lay much more than geese, but not anywhere near as well as those egg laying ducks like Cambells or Runners.. However, I really love my Muscovy.

Back
Top Bottom