Geese Took Late Night Walk !!

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this. I need some advice.

So the weather finally started getting nice here in north east PA. So I took all my water fowl up to my pond yesterday. It's a pond in the middld of the woods with a fresh spring feeding into it and it's a good distance away from my house. So I took my Moscovy's, Ducks and 3 Embden geese. They all did fine and loved it. Well tonight I heard noise and low and behold my 3 geese decided to walk down the mountian trial during the night.

So I drove up to my pond to see if the ducks and Moscovy's were still there and they were. The geese stayed up there last night. My questions are why would they walk down at night ? Why didn't they stay up there ? They stayed up there last night. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on why my geese came back down.

Pictures of my geese up at my pond earlier today. View attachment 1351816 View attachment 1351815
Woo!! I have two embed geese also! I have the same problem, they always try to walk down the driveway to my neighbor's house (to be fair they do have a pond). IMG_1163.JPG

Woo!! I have two embed geese also! I have the same problem, they always try to walk down the driveway to my neighbor's house (to be fair they do have a pond).View attachment 1356713

I know when I found them they walked down my driveway and were walking on the side of the road. I had to herd them and walk them up my driveway and into thier coop. They are pretty funny and I love them. I just want them to have fun and love life at the pond on our property.

Yep a predator would probably eat them first. They have no protection against anything with teeth they are mostly bluff. Do you go up every evening before dark and close them up in their coop if not they are really sitting ducks/geese inside some thing with only 1 way in an out

We built a coop up there for the ducks and my Moscovy's. I got the geese to help protect my ducks up at my pond as the person I got them from said they help deter predators because they are territorial and loud.
. Coyote love goose as much as they love duck and chicken. You get leftovers too. It is a complete lie that geese will protect anything from a predator. I fell bad for all the geese who lost their lives disproving this tale. Yes, they can make a racket but I've also lost geese who were 100 yards away and I didn't hear a quack.

. Coyote love goose as much as they love duck and chicken. You get leftovers too. It is a complete lie that geese will protect anything from a predator. I fell bad for all the geese who lost their lives disproving this tale. Yes, they can make a racket but I've also lost geese who were 100 yards away and I didn't hear a quack.
I have the geese copped up now in there coop. I know we have Bear, fox, opossum, bobcats, skunks, racoons. I'm not sure about coyote I've never heard or seen them but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. I just can't believe someone would lie to me just to sell me geese. I'm a first time goose owner.

Bear, fox and bobcat can clean out your flock in one night. The ducks have some protection just because they like to sleep on the water. Geese on the other hand, like to sleep on the shore. They will be the first to go. The joy of watching them on the pond is not worth the risk. They get just as much enjoyment out of a 50 gallon kiddy pool.
Did the sellers lie to you in order to sell the geese? Only they know that. Plenty of people on byc believe that geese can provide predator protection for the their flock. They've just been lucky.

Back
Top Bottom