Geese training?

Geese are the watch dogs of the poultry world. They're even better at it than most actual watchdogs. Short of fencing them where they cannot see your movements there's not much you can do about it.

Mine will make a little noise even if they can't see me. The squeak of the door to the chicken coop alerts them that I am out and they come to the front of their fence looking for me. Gotta love em!

Geese are the watch dogs of the poultry world. They're even better at it than most actual watchdogs. Short of fencing them where they cannot see your movements there's not much you can do about it.

Ok this is kinda what I thought...

We are planning to put in a fence at the top of the driveway next month so they won't see us every time we go out the door.

Honestly, I don't mind their noise, I'm just concerned it will tick the neighbors off cuz I don't want to have to get rid of these two.

Mine will make a little noise even if they can't see me. The squeak of the door to the chicken coop alerts them that I am out and they come to the front of their fence looking for me. Gotta love em!

The last few days the weather has been so nice that we've had the windows and living room slider doors open. They are in the back yard right near the house so of course they hear us talking in the house and want to join in.

Also, as soon as they hear either the bulkhead door or the slider door open they go crazy. Today while I was sitting out there with them they could hear one of the neighbors talking through the woods and they stopped all activity and you could tell they were listening then they started honking.
ep.gif

Frankie gets a little agressive sometimes. Unless he is put in his place once in awhile he likes to nip. I tried grabbing his neck but that seems to make him madder and I'm afraid I'll hurt him so now I give him a little kick with the top of my foot to his breast area and he gets the message. Sometimes I have to do it hard enough to lift him off the ground but since I use the top of my foot I don't think he will have anything bruised besides his pride. Sometimes if you say his name sternly when his about to attack he hangs his little head. Once I turned around after scolding him and started walking away. I could hear the slapping of little goose feet hitting the dirt behind me. He stopped once I turned around. He is one determined little bugger. The rest of the geese are fine. They just stand by and watch. My husband flaps his wings and charges back and that seems to work also. We are trying ot get our son to be tougher with him. Sometimes he is tough and sometimes he isn't so he still has some problems with Frankie.

Frankie gets a little agressive sometimes. Unless he is put in his place once in awhile he likes to nip. I tried grabbing his neck but that seems to make him madder and I'm afraid I'll hurt him so now I give him a little kick with the top of my foot to his breast area and he gets the message. Sometimes I have to do it hard enough to lift him off the ground but since I use the top of my foot I don't think he will have anything bruised besides his pride. Sometimes if you say his name sternly when his about to attack he hangs his little head. Once I turned around after scolding him and started walking away. I could hear the slapping of little goose feet hitting the dirt behind me. He stopped once I turned around. He is one determined little bugger. The rest of the geese are fine. They just stand by and watch. My husband flaps his wings and charges back and that seems to work also. We are trying ot get our son to be tougher with him. Sometimes he is tough and sometimes he isn't so he still has some problems with Frankie.

I've been having "training" sessions with Freddie the last two days. He is learning the words NO BITING because everytime I say them to him he honks back at me. I've done a few different things, one was to press him to the ground and say NO BITING, holding his bill closed for a few seconds, grabbed his neck but that one really ticked him off. I'm just trying to teach him that I am the boss not him. It seems to be working considering we've only done it for two days lol but I think it will take him a little longer to just never bite in the first place. Yea, his mate Beatrice just stands by and watches with a look on her face like "what is wrong with him?"
lau.gif

My geese are 5 months old. They don't show aggression to me, but they do to children and dogs, cats, etc. I have taught my children how to deal with the geese and now the geese respect my oldest. We are working our way down with the kids. We had to train the kids how to train a rogue rooster a few years ago. The roo did not last for long. The geese have staying power though. They will be here till they die, which won't be for quite a while.

This thread was a welcome information. Mods please make this a sticky.

About 5 months ago I got my first 2 geese. My Goosie is a poor hatched deformed little pilgrim and embden cross doll baby who follows me into the house. She had just me to entertain her for the first couple weeks of her life until I found a little baby African who had been an only baby too. I have never had quite the same bond with Lucien. He has been testing his limits with me. I had never heard of pinning the geese but I think that I might be doing that sometime next spring. Maybe sooner. We have done some form of chest bumping when he decided to play roughly with my hair.

I have been learning to claim my dogs and my guest. It has been getting more interesting every day with Lucien's increased territorial behavior. I can see where the knowledge in this post will be put to use in the coming days.

Thank You.

I wanted to post an update regarding my training with Freddie. After about three weeks he had pretty much learned not to bite me in an aggressive manner. Now he follows me around still and talks to me when I talk to him but he doesn't approach close enough for me to touch him. The other day I tried to touch his chest and he bit me gently but that was my fault. I had basically taught him that I wouldn't touch him and he wouldn't bite me and "I went back on my word" as my 11 year old animal assistant reminded me
tongue.png

Freddie still knows the words "What are the rules?" and "No biting!" and when I say either of them he honks at the first word. I SWEAR he knows what they mean. These geese are the funniest animals I have ever had. They clearly want to be with me and follow me around all day when I'm out there doing animal chores but they just don't want to be touched. They come when I call them just like a dog does and they even recognize their own names.

Back
Top Bottom