Geese vicously attacking Ducks

OK, so I have been considering getting two geese to help protect my flock of chickens and a few docks from the occasional raptor. However if they are destined to become chicken and duck bullies I will definitely not want any geese. I'll must lurk in the background and see what other bits of info emerge.
caf.gif
About the only way to keep it from happening is to get 2 of the same sex preferably females. it's pairs you have problems with because the gander doing what ganders do best is very protective of his mate and goslings too if any are around. 2 ganders would work also but they will want to mate with the female ducks.

Most of us who have geese love them. We just have to also make sure they behave themselves. or separate them from the rest of the flock. My geese actually hate not being with the flock they will pace up and down the fence till I let them out if they still misbehave they go right back into their special enclousure Thankfully I have never had any goose kill another bird. But I did worry about it when I had the 4.
Sorry!! I'm given to extremes... MY geese were nasty.
caf.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We got our geese about 4 months ago as goslings. We put them in with the ducks when they were about 2 months old. They have been bullied since the beginning. We were I the process of building them their own enclosure this weekend but weren’t done yet. We went out today to find one of the ducks laying on the ground with blood on her beak area, seemingly unable to move her legs. I hope they didn’t break her back. They are no longer in with the ducks. I’m not sure if they are male or female yet. Maybe two females, I dunno. Really mean to the female ducks.

We had to move our geese out of the duck pen after they killed a duck hen. I still don’t know if they are male or female (new to geese). They are only 4 months old. We put them I. There at about 2 1/2 months old. They just got meaner as they aged. They are chill with humans, just not the other birds.

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    962.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2456.jpeg
    IMG_2456.jpeg
    977.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2455.jpeg
    IMG_2455.jpeg
    958.8 KB · Views: 11
I am so sorry :hugs
Our pair of geese raised 2 goslings and when the gosling got mature the 4 of them started ganging up on my chickens and ducks, Needless to say I ended up having to rehome the 2 young ones. I had never had any problems when it was just the 2 older geese but for some reason when it was 4 they turned into a group of thugs. I knew eventually someone was going to be hurt or killed.

Back
Top Bottom