Geese vicously attacking Ducks

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
We got our geese about in October, it was birthday present. When they first came, they were pretty skitty,but took no longer then a week to get them eating outta our palms. I didn't have any idea that they were "duck" aggressive

Ever since about the beginning of November, they have bitten the ducks, stomped them, and continuously, chase them.

I want to know when it'll stop and how to get them to get along.

We got our geese about in October, it was birthday present. When they first came, they were pretty skitty,but took no longer then a week to get them eating outta our palms. I didn't have any idea that they were "duck" aggressive

Ever since about the beginning of November, they have bitten the ducks, stomped them, and continuously, chase them.

I want to know when it'll stop and how to get them to get along.
I at one time had 4 geese 2 pair. I had to rehome a pair because they were so mean to my ducks and chickens. I have an older pair now my gander is going on 10 he was hatched here and my females is going on 5yrs. They are pretty laid back with the other birds until mating season which is not far off. I had to make a separate fenced area just for them in case they don't behave themselves. How many geese do you have and do you know which is gander /goose? My gander is my most aggressive he doesn't usually actually attack anyone just puts his head down and most of the flock knows to get out of his way. The only one of the other birds he will mess with is my Muscovy drake they have never liked each other. And can get into some pretty nasty fights and believe it or not my drake is always the winner. But when I had the 4 they would surround some of my ducks and chickens and pick on them pluck them..

I don't know of anything you can do to make the geese like ducks either they do or they don't.

3 geese. The Gander is actually a lot more "Obvious" when you know how to sex them.Supposedly two females, but I swear one is an extra male. When the "Lead" gander goes to bath, and turns his entire body upside, the goose (Olive oil),bites him, but when he comes up to see what's going on, she and the actual female goose, go flying.

Most of us who have geese love them. We just have to also make sure they behave themselves. or separate them from the rest of the flock. My geese actually hate not being with the flock they will pace up and down the fence till I let them out if they still misbehave they go right back into their special enclousure Thankfully I have never had any goose kill another bird. But I did worry about it when I had the 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 geese. The Gander is actually a lot more "Obvious" when you know how to sex them.Supposedly two females, but I swear one is an extra male. When the "Lead" gander goes to bath, and turns his entire body upside, the goose (Olive oil),bites him, but when he comes up to see what's going on, she and the actual female goose, go flying.
Well we are going to be going into geese breeding season in Jan to feb so you should know for sure if you have 2 females. My female is more aggressive to her mate when breeding season begins. She will bite on him too it's quite funny.

Most of us who have geese love them. We just have to also make sure they behave themselves. or separate them from the rest of the flock. My geese actually hate not being with the flock they will pace up and down the fence till I let them out if they still misbehave they go right back into their special enclousure Thankfully I have never had any goose kill another bird. But I did worry about it when I had the 4.

They do the same thing! Only thing is, our flock has no connection or likes to them, they just are pretty much bullies toward any and everything accept humans. They talk to me, eat out my hand and sometimes even follow me, so eating isn't a option.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do the same thing! Only thing is, our flock has no connection or likes to them, they just are pretty much bullies toward any and everything accept humans. They talk to me, eat out my hand and sometimes even follow me, so eating isn't a option.
Geese really are bullies it's up to us to make them behave.

I have been waiting to see if I'm seeing anybody making a move yet, but no mating going on. It seems as if one of the gooses is actually left out, and picked on if tries to bath with the "Cool" kids, usually goes to the smaller kitty pool and does her own things, unless she notices excitement going on.

OK, so I have been considering getting two geese to help protect my flock of chickens and a few docks from the occasional raptor. However if they are destined to become chicken and duck bullies I will definitely not want any geese. I'll must lurk in the background and see what other bits of info emerge.
caf.gif

Actually, if you raise them with your ducks and chickens, I do not think this will happen. These geese were never around ducks so the ducks are an unfamiliar animal,eevn though the geese have been here 3 months.

they are unsure of how to behave towards the ducks because they were never raised around them, that's the way I look at it, but I'm new to geese.

Back
Top Bottom