Geese with Ducks?

I hope that your geese don't grow to hate chickens like mine. With all females it should not be as bad. I have a rooster who had to learn to back down. Boris gave him several floggings as well as biting his comb. Now when Boris honks the rooster asks how high.

They seem ok and friendly w them S long as the ducks are right beside them lol most don't even bother them . It's just the top hen who gets peckish - ESP at treat time .

Hi - I feel lucky that my African geese pair live happily with my 11 ducks (Pekins, Runners, mixed breed). I actually got the geese to act as bodyguards for the ducks. They are in a predator proof pen at night and free range in a fenced in area during the day. This covered all the bases except for hawks and snakes. We have some 7 foot long Black snakes that are constrictors although I would think they are just looking for eggs and the Runners would be too big to attack. The hawks were more of a concern. And lately, we've had racoons out during the day. The geese and ducks have been together for 2 years now with no losses and no problems. I do have multiple feeding and watering stations so the geese can't monopolize life's necessities. They also have access to the lake for swimming. Also, I think it's important to have lots of room so they aren't crowded. The one time I saw the flock threatened by a neighbor's dog who was on the outside of the fence barking, Mrs. Goose herded the ducks to their house and Mr. Goose spread his wings to attack. The dogs had ran off by the time I got there. I do recommend a sturdy 6 foot tall fence as the best protection against dogs. All the best to you and your flock, Sherilyn

Free range it will be no problem.

In a run or coop be careful.

My pair of geese used to pick up and throw the female ducks off their nests and take over the nest.

I had to re home the geese as they were just too aggressive with the ducks.

I have an African and a Mallard in the same pen and they do fantastic together . . . my Mallard gets mean occasionally by tugging on feet but that's the extent of it. He has even tried to breed with my goose several times and has come close to succeeding
idunno.gif

The reason I am laughing is that my ducks we I had them did the same to my female geese they would pick on just one Ginger. She would run for her life to get away from 3 horny drakes!!!!!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom