Geese with Ducks?

My Indian runners and saxonies do fine with my embden pair, the gander is in charge at feeding, but they are housed separately at night, only because my coop is spilt in two

I used to keep mine together but notices that when the ducks would mate, the geese would run over honking and rip feathers out of the poor female duck as the act was happening. I now have a coop filled with geese and a coop filled with fully feathered ducks!

I think it depends on the individual birds involved. I tried putting my Seb pair in with some of my mixed flock ducks and my Black Swedish drake bullied my geese. He pulled a bunch of their feathers out. A few months later, I needed to put the geese in my woth Ancona ducks for awhile. That worked out better, but the geese picked on the Anconas a little. It started getting worse as breeding season neared, so I split them up. Now ducks and geese are separated for the safety of all of them.

I have a female Chinese goose (normally a pretty aggressive breed, but she is a sweetheart!) that lives with and watches over my duck flock. She is only about a month older than the ducklings but she mothered them right from the start, which was pretty adorable.

I have 2 sets of geese, 3 breeds that spend day yard time with both Runner ducks and Saxony, and sometimes my Hookbills. The geese were raised with the ducks pretty much. But they have separate night pens. I notice some bullying around any food or around the pools. Pretty much the geese 'take over' the food or pool when they want it. I feed in night pens , but if I happen to throw out something in day, I make sure it scatters for everyone. The Runners are fast, so they stay around the Africans, which aren't
big_smile.png
and the Saxony are bigger, so they are near size to Shetlands, so they can't push them around much. Early spring the geese get "peckish" and territorial, but they settle down more amicably after June. Geese are 'defenders" of mates and food and nests. Ducks are 'lets mate, and run around'....
wink.png

My geese live with Runners and they are all fine together. Even the Toulouse who is separated (because she and the Sebastopol hen are trying to kill each other), is in a yard with Calls and she is fine.

Anyone want a Giant Dewlap Toulouse???

My 2 geese are 6 weeks old my 3 ducks are going on 16 weeks and my 14 chickens are going on 19-20 weeks . I introduced all new birds slowly and yes at first there was a lil pecking ( thru a protective cage even) but now they are all one happy flock that eat , play , and swim together . The chickens are still the rulers of my yard . The ducks don't take their crap but the geese are big whimps haha literally . I have all girls . No ganders , Roos , or drakes. So they just run away when a chicken half their size comes near hahaha it's funny . They all sleep together too ;) chickens get the Roost bar up top and the ducks and geese share the floor nest . Happy happy happy ;)

I hope that your geese don't grow to hate chickens like mine. With all females it should not be as bad. I have a rooster who had to learn to back down. Boris gave him several floggings as well as biting his comb. Now when Boris honks the rooster asks how high.

I hope that your geese don't grow to hate chickens like mine. With all females it should not be as bad. I have a rooster who had to learn to back down. Boris gave him several floggings as well as biting his comb. Now when Boris honks the rooster asks how high.
lol.png
My rooster and gander have had a go round a few times, now all my gander has to do now is drop his head down and the rooster moves off. Actually my gander is much more tolerant of the chickens than the goose or my ducks. He drops his head they back away.

Back
Top Bottom