...Geese??

DuckiesPLZ

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
I've been looking into getting ducks, but I saw this and i didn't realize that geese could be kept as pets... I always thought they were terriotial mean things O.O But I'm curious, what kind of pets do they make if you get them as eggs/hatchlings?
smile.png

I thought the same once. I was way wrong! Geese make incredible pets. I think you should start off with a goose and gander goslings. Raise them to grown-ups and do it right they will be your best friends. Then if you want. You can add some ducks. Geese will take over be the guards of the ducks. They get along great.

Be sure to look around on here and other places. Geese are a lot work and caution need to be taken against predators.

I love, love, love, my geese. I keep Roman Tufted, Sebbies, Tufted Buffs and have two young Embdens that I think are both female. I live on an acreage and they free range during the day and are locked away safely at night to guard against predation. Geese form very strong pair bonds and have very strong family ties. I have two separate and distinct flocks which graze together all day and then separate into their groups and are housed separately at night. One group has 11 members and the other group has 14 members. They are fed Purnia Flockraiser each evening. They are any where from about 4 years old to 5 months old. I have no aggression issues at all.

I had both White and Brown Chinese before keeping this particular group and re-homed them because they were aggressive towards people, especially my husband. One of the ganders did go after me too...he liked to sneak up on me and bite the back of my legs - that went on a couple of times before he realized I was bigger, faster and sometimes meaner than he was.

I find the Roman Tufted, Tufted Buffs and Sebastopols are sweet, kind and less noisy than their Chinese counterparts. The jury is still out on the Embdens that came to live here this past Spring.

All in all I've had geese for about 5-6 years and have no regrets - I absolutely love them! My waterfowl bring me peace.

Joni

I had two muscovy drakes then got a sebastopol gander at the age of 16 weeks and a female domestic and even though the ducks are tiny compared to the geese, the ducks are at the top of the pekking order. They do make wonderfull pets

I've had Chinese and Emden for many years and now they are all crossbred. I have to say that individuality, not breed, is the major player in whether a goose is mean or not. That in conjunction with handling and personal attention. My geese have always recieved plenty of attention and I have never had a mean one. I hope I never have to kive where I can't have my geese. Treated right, ganders are much more personable that females, but nobody is mean. You will love them............Pop

Back
Top Bottom