Geese

The " nicest" will probably depend on the individual bird but the chinese will probably be the noisiest if that will be an issue.

Last edited:
Well the geese are gonna be outside unless it gets to cold so noise is no problemo. We don't know the temperaments of the geese and we can't really tame them since their full grown but we just don't want a goose that is chasing us around biting us and not letting us in the coop. Just a semi friendly breed.

All breeds can be nice - and all breeds can chase you around. It depends on the individual birds, as RAREROO says, and it depends on how you treat them.

For instance, my goose does NOT like my mother, as she constantly sneaks up on him, trying to pet him (she believes the goose loves her, haha). But he instantly liked the neighbors roofer when he came over to hook up some cable because the roofer kept a respectful distance and talked quietly to the goose. When I got home, the goose actually wanted to go visit the roofer and just walked up to him, greeting him and feeling totally safe around him. I was totally dumbfounded.

I'd say go see them and pick the ones you like the best, the ones that act the nicest around their current owners. Then you have a good foundation for a succesful relationship with your new geese.

As the others say, temperament can depend on the individual more than the breed, but I know that Pilgrim and Embeden geese have a reputation for being nicer breeds. I have a couple of pilgrims and they are nice. Geese may be more protective during breeding season, of course.

By the way, geese are very cold hardy. They don't seem to mind sitting around in the snow. They just need a constant source of unfrozen water that is deep enough for them to dunk their whole head in.

I'd go with either the Embdens or the Pilgrims. Choose the color that you like the best. That's the main difference between the two breeds for someone who is a goose beginner.

How they behave will depend upon how they were raised. Spoiled geese can be re-trained if you have to. Geese are very smart.

Ya we're gonna buy them all probably, see we're hiring a friend to build our coop and he's building us a 8x8, one that houses 30 STANDARD size chickens when we're getting like 7 standard size chickens and like 18 bantams, we're going have first class housing.
gig.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom