Gender? 9wk old EEs/ Americanas TS

I was reading something about the hackle and head coloring being different then it’s usually a cockerel, but at the same time these ees are the ones that tractor supply sells as “americanas “ so idk what they are a mixture of.
Interesting. I hadn't heard that before, but I'll have to pay attention and see if I spot anything like that in the future.

In this case, I think the overall color pattern is more typical of females than males (taking into consideration how the two colors are distributed in which parts of the chicken.)

Same link said it wasn’t always accurate
The comb or the coloring?

Neither one would be accurate 100% of the time, but pale comb is a very good indicator of female at that age, and so is having a comb that is small compared with others of the same age and comb type. Comparing with a different comb type, or with chicks of a different age, is much more likely to be wrong.

I had read about feather patterning for EE chicks. If it is a consistent color pattern all over the wings / body, then female. If the color pattern is splotches of colors and develops some red on wings around 11 to 12 weeks, then male. Both males and females can have either a white or black head. I'd also look for rounded tail feathers to indicate female.

I think they are all pullets, but the green dot bird is the one to keep an eye on. By 12 or 13 weeks it will start showing male specific feathering if it is a cockerel. But overall it has an even color pattern, and that is generally a sign of a female in Easter eggers.

Interesting. I hadn't heard that before, but I'll have to pay attention and see if I spot anything like that in the future.

In this case, I think the overall color pattern is more typical of females than males (taking into consideration how the two colors are distributed in which parts of the chicken.)

The comb or the coloring?

Neither one would be accurate 100% of the time, but pale comb is a very good indicator of female at that age, and so is having a comb that is small compared with others of the same age and comb type. Comparing with a different comb type, or with chicks of a different age, is much more likely to be wrong.
Just to clarify haha I meant the coloring thing I mentioned said it wasn’t always accurate 😋

I'd almost go with pullets. We have a couple with similar shading (different colors) that are pullets (my Adventures in Easter Eggers thread)

We still have a grey one we are wishy washy on lol guess we'll know in a few weeks if it grows or not lol

Back
Top Bottom