Gender and breed?

folmerla

Hatching
Sep 14, 2022
This chicken 'Roxie' is around 4 months old. Purchased at Tractor Supply on clearance along with another chick. I can't remember but maybe they were Jersey Giants? The other chick was definitely a male rooster (barred feather) and he was unfortunately snatched by a predator a couple months ago so I cannot compare her to him. I was completely under the impression that this beauty Roxie was a female, but now I'm not so sure because of her beautiful plumage. We also have a younger (2 weeks younger) black sex-link chicken who is obviously a male who has been crowing for awhile now. Roxie has never tried crowing or behaves like a rooster yet.

My question: Is it possible for females to display such beautiful feathers as this? Or is she really just a quiet he?

Attachments

• IMG_3476.jpg
    IMG_3476.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 4
This chicken 'Roxie' is around 4 months old. Purchased at Tractor Supply on clearance along with another chick. I can't remember but maybe they were Jersey Giants? The other chick was definitely a male rooster (barred feather) and he was unfortunately snatched by a predator a couple months ago so I cannot compare her to him. I was completely under the impression that this beauty Roxie was a female, but now I'm not so sure because of her beautiful plumage. We also have a younger (2 weeks younger) black sex-link chicken who is obviously a male who has been crowing for awhile now. Roxie has never tried crowing or behaves like a rooster yet.

My question: Is it possible for females to display such beautiful feathers as this? Or is she really just a quiet he?
Yes females can have these gorgeous shiny feathers too! But Roxie is a boy you can tell by the saddle feathers coming in at the base of the tail.😊

Polkie hen
3BABE18E-314A-43E0-86EB-A2F34CEAF1A7.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. It's so funny the denial I was in, thinking she was some supermodel or something :lau. We'll just have to see how our two cockerels will get along in the future.

Back
Top Bottom