Gender and colour of pekin bantam babies

Liza Henelli

Chirping
Jan 3, 2022
Hi All

Hoping you can help... long story short, had 2 broody hens that we just couldn't break out of it. Got some adopted eggs close to hatching from a friend of mine. Very curious as to their colours and genders...

What we know:
They are chickens
They are pekins
Born the week before Christmas (realise its a bit soon for gender guessing but any thoughts or advise greatly appreciated!)
Moms could be any of my friend's flock
This is definitely dad
IMG-20211219-WA0014.jpg

Chick #1 - elder than the other two by a day or two... hatched yellow with brown stripe...
20220103_165830.jpg
20220103_165757.jpg

Chick #2 - aka Bandit. Born black and yellow. Black wings with white tips (not on all the feathers though) and looks like shoulder feathers are coming out white.
20220103_165148.jpg
20211223_173806.jpg

Chick #3 - youngest of the 3. Born a pretty brown/Grey colour. Now has darker colour and white barring on wings.
20220103_165809.jpg
20220103_165757.jpg

Any thoughts, comments, shots in the dark greatly appreciated! 😀

Are there other breeds of hens? That last baby looks like a different breed, unless he is stretching up. The black and white one looks similar to a mottled cochin baby- beautiful face.
Thanks so much. He/she is stretched up in the pic I think. I was feeding them greens at the time so they were all on the look out for treats. Normally looks the same as others. Lady I got the eggs from only has pekins as far as I know.

The little black and white baby is lovely. Nicknamed Bandit hehehe. He/she has a black mask over their eyes and beak is yellow on one side and black on the other. I am hoping it's a mottled type girl. The lady I got the eggs from has never had any hatch out like this so could not send pics of that particular colour a bit older to have an idea of colour development.

Back
Top Bottom