Gender better pic

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RWilk10, Oct 14, 2014.

1. RWilk10

RWilk10 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Hope this pic is a little better how many hen and roosters 6 months old

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I don't know this breed at all so no idea how much comb they should have etc but going by the way they are standing up,tall and proud with tails erect alone all I can see if one girl at the front and a whole heap of roosters.

To sex a chicken what people are looking at is the length and shape of the feathers on the neck and to see if it has started growing longer feathers on it's back right before the tail. If they have all started growing those and it this age they should be fairly obvious if you look up close they are boys.
    If you can take a photo of one of the more upright ones neck feathers and a photo of that one at the front with its comb turned to the camera you should be able to see if the upright ones are different so you can then compare that to the rest.

3. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I think I see two possible hens and there roos. If you can get full close up side shots we can give you a better idea

4. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

They look like White Leghorns. It's too hard to see the if they have pointy saddle feathers. Big red combs does not mean they are cockerels--in fact, I think that any with floppy combs are probably your pullets.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/page 263.htm
    The link above includes a video of Cackle Hatchery's breeder flock of White Leghorn. Maybe it will help you.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, those all look like females, except for perhaps the bird on the right in the front row. It is normal for White Leghorns (which these look like) to have large red, floppy combs.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Photos of each individual bird would help. However, I think I see a lot of point-of-lay pullets.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    this. You'll need to photo each bird you're questioning, and getting good pics of a white bird's saddle feathers can be challenging.

8. Rafter H Farms

Rafter H Farms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2014
    Northwest Montana
    I am certainly no Leghorn expert but I have a raised a few and I am hard pressed to say there are any cockerels in the bunch that I can see. I would say you have a nice bunch of pullets there for my two cents. Best of luck and enjoy all those large white eggs they are about to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by