Gender changes temperament?

backyardflock1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 22, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi, I am going to be getting 2 ducks as ducklings. My question is: If I get two drakes or two females will the gender have any impact on their friendliness, or is it the handling time that counts? If I were to get a male and a female, would that make them less human friendly? Thanks :)

Not really, i have both here (drakes and ducks) some birds are just friendlier than others. Now as for a pair, drakes really should have at least 2-3 ducks minimum more the better especially some of the larger breeds.

For noise, drakes will win with most breeds for quiet, females can be quite loud.

Last edited:
Not really, i have both here (drakes and ducks) some birds are just friendlier than others. Now as for a pair, drakes really should have at least 2-3 ducks minimum more the better especially some of the larger breeds.

For noise, drakes will win with most breeds for quiet, females can be quite loud.

Just pick whatever you want at this point
smile.png
It is really dependent on the duck themselves.
Thanks for the replies guys! :) I think I might go with two drakes right now because it is nice they are quieter, and from what I hear females can get pretty loud. The drakes hopefully will be ok when they mature that they don't have any females. They don't lay eggs, but just for starting out it is easier to get drakes due to their noise. Hopefully if I got females later they wouldn't fight. Short term drakes are better, but longer terms females might be better because two drakes would mean I would have to get more females. I think I remember you (needlessjunk) saying you had two drakes, do they get along with each other and you fine? Thanks :)

Thanks for the replies guys! :) I think I might go with two drakes right now because it is nice they are quieter, and from what I hear females can get pretty loud. The drakes hopefully will be ok when they mature that they don't have any females. They don't lay eggs, but just for starting out it is easier to get drakes due to their noise. Hopefully if I got females later they wouldn't fight. Short term drakes are better, but longer terms females might be better because two drakes would mean I would have to get more females. I think I remember you (needlessjunk) saying you had two drakes, do they get along with each other and you fine? Thanks :)

They get along very well and my kids hand feed them. I didn't purposelly get drakes and they are going to a new home soon to make room for some girls. I'm really going to miss them though and I'm quite attached to them. Today they didn't really fight at all to be picked up once I got them into the corner. I think you will be happy with either sex. Are you keeping them inside for a while? That will help them get use to you and of course lots of handling.

They get along very well and my kids hand feed them. I didn't purposelly get drakes and they are going to a new home soon to make room for some girls. I'm really going to miss them though and I'm quite attached to them. Today they didn't really fight at all to be picked up once I got them into the corner. I think you will be happy with either sex. Are you keeping them inside for a while? That will help them get use to you and of course lots of handling.
Yes, they will be inside for a while. What is the reason you are replacing the drakes with girls? Thanks :)

Hi,
I have both female ducks and drakes - for the most part, my call ducks are friendlier than the larger breeds and except for a few drakes, I find the females friendlier. All of my drakes start out friendly as ducklings, but seem to become more stand offish as they mature. This may be because of the females, I'm not sure, but I do have some boys that will eat peas out of my hand.
I did want to add that though I have never experienced this, some people say their drakes will try to mate with their chicken hens - just be aware of this if you do get 2 males and no females.
And yes, the girls can be noisy!

Hi,
I have both female ducks and drakes - for the most part, my call ducks are friendlier than the larger breeds and except for a few drakes, I find the females friendlier. All of my drakes start out friendly as ducklings, but seem to become more stand offish as they mature. This may be because of the females, I'm not sure, but I do have some boys that will eat peas out of my hand.
I did want to add that though I have never experienced this, some people say their drakes will try to mate with their chicken hens - just be aware of this if you do get 2 males and no females.
And yes, the girls can be noisy!
Because I am only able to order 2 I want to make sure I choose the best gender. I don't know if the ducks are making the drakes less friendly or if drakes are just less friendly in general. This is a tough decision!

Back
Top Bottom