Gender/ color help needed for wyandottes!

It's not about breeds, it's the feathering genetics they carry. Do you honestly believe that someone who cannot even keep track of their colors was breeding his chicks to be feather-sexed? I don't.

There are differences in patterning that will show later and, of course, the combs grow differently but right now it would be a guess.

I dont believe much of what he said. Fortunatly he only had wyandottes, so while gender is in question, as is.color, at least I have a.chance they are still able to be.sexed this way. As this is a project for grad classes, and will take a bout 2 years, I need to learn as much as I can. So i am asking those who know more than i.
I appreciate your responding, and the links. :)
It's not about breeds, it's the feathering genetics they carry. Do you honestly believe that someone who cannot even keep track of their colors was breeding his chicks to be feather-sexed? I don't.

There are differences in patterning that will show later and, of course, the combs grow differently but right now it would be a guess.

Wow
I dont believe much of what he said. Fortunatly he only had wyandottes, so while gender is in question, as is.color, at least I have a.chance they are still able to be.sexed this way. As this is a project for grad classes, and will take a bout 2 years, I need to learn as much as I can. So i am asking those who know more than i.
I appreciate your responding, and the links. :)
wow my phone really botched that up. Again, thanks for the help and links.

They look like gold laced to me. I can help you with sexing as i just hatched 7 blue laced red wyandottes, i could tell for certain by 10 days which were pullets and cockerals. The pullets had long wing feathers that touched their tail by then, the cockerals still had stort wing feathers. Pullets had a tail starting to grow by day 10 where are the cockerals took until about 3 weeks to start to grow tail feathers. Hope this helps.

They look like gold laced to me. I can help you with sexing as i just hatched 7 blue laced red wyandottes, i could tell for certain by 10 days which were pullets and cockerals. The pullets had long wing feathers that touched their tail by then, the cockerals still had stort wing feathers. Pullets had a tail starting to grow by day 10 where are the cockerals took until about 3 weeks to start to grow tail feathers. Hope this helps.

Uggggg

Yes, it helps a ton.... But a day late. :-/ This morning I sent 5 chicks ( apparently pullets grrrrrrrr) off with someone who wanted them, leaving me with three as a just in case. I also have 6 chicks that I thought were pullets, and are perhaps the Roos. *shakes head*
Check out the pics above? What do you think?

I started with six and have these two left which I believe are pullets. We will see how I did. This is t based on feathers at 3 days old. I did give one away I believed was a pullet. This photo was at 6/7 days old.

Oh no Sorry CTFeathers! I hope you kept some pullets for yourself. From the pictures you posted from the ones i can see you can see the ones with the longer flight feathers on their wings and a few tail feathers sprouting. Where as the cockerals still have the fluffy chick butt for lack of a better word and short feathers:)

Oh no Sorry CTFeathers! I hope you kept some pullets for yourself. From the pictures you posted from the ones i can see you can see the ones with the longer flight feathers on their wings and a few tail feathers sprouting. Where as the cockerals still have the fluffy chick butt for lack of a better word and short feathers:)

Not too many pullets left lol.
Oh well.
I do thinking have a nice splash roo :)

Back
Top Bottom