1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender confused rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Coop de Grille, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Why does my rooster insist on sitting on eggs? At first I thought he might be dust bathing but he is acting like a hen. He walks in a circle, pushes the eggs back under him with his beak and kicks around the shavings. It's definitely not dust bathing. [​IMG]

Quick video clip of him tucking eggs underneath himself.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Are you absolutely positive it's a ROO?? Both your pic and video clip doesn't really show the face very well, as well as a "body shot" ... You just might actually have a hen there...does it "crow" ??? [​IMG]

3. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Yes, he crows. Here is a pic of him:

[​IMG]

His mother is a pure bred black ameraucana and his daddy is a pure bred white ameraucana. Someone is eating all my EE's muffs. This is a close up pic I took of him muff-less.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Wow! I never heard of this before....weird for sure! Maybe someone here at BYC with way more knowledge than me will be by soon and give you better information...good luck!

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

A rooster acting like that at my place would be the next guest to dinner.........and he would not be needing silverware either.......get my drift?

1 person likes this.
  6. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    LOL Enola! As long as he isn't mean he can stay. I have never had a roo that sat on eggs before. This isn't the first time I have seen him sitting either. He does it a lot.

7. Daniel23

Daniel23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2014
    Let us know if he hatches the eggs!

8. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    That's awesome! LOL! A roo with a strong parenting instinct!

9. -BOGGS-

-BOGGS- Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    ohio
    That's pretty cool! LOL, A broody roo!LOL

10. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Ok, it gets weirder. Today I found his brother doing the same thing. He is handicapped and doesn't roost so he likes to sleep in the nest box. I have only seen him in there at bedtime, never during the day and never walking in circles and kicking up shavings and throwing them on his back like I witnessed today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by