gender confusion

tashtash

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 23, 2012
Perth Western Australia
I have a couple of Sussex hens that are about 9 months old now. Today I saw them doing things to my other hens things that roosters do. If you get what I mean. They were jumping doing sexual things. Can they get confused or sometimes do things like that.

In an all female flock, the dominant hen may display some behaviors that we think of as rooster-like, such as mounting other hens, or at least climbing on their backs. They may even attempt to crow (which can be pretty funny.) These are actually dominance behaviors as well as male behaviors. A dominant hen who displays such behavior may or may not lay eggs.

One of the bloggers I follow (www.hencam.com) had a perpetually broody hen. She eventually had enough and rehomed the her. In her new home, the hen had more free ranging and wasn't broody all of the time. She also says that a lot of bad behaviors can be reduced by providing more activities for the flock. She keeps a compost pile on the coop, which gives the hens something to do other than picking fights with each other.

Back
Top Bottom