Gender Guess- 3 week light sussex has me stumped

Jayteetee

Chirping
Jan 21, 2024
This is Chickaletta. Chickaletta has been observed chest bumping a few times & is getting pecked by other chicks (has been separated to prevent injury).
He is 22 days hatched in these photos. What sex do you think Chickaletta is?

Attachments

• IMG_2723.jpeg
    IMG_2723.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2725.jpeg
    IMG_2725.jpeg
    448.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2729.jpeg
    IMG_2729.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 23
Looks like a pullet to me. At three weeks I would expect more redness if she were a cockerel. That's not to say she couldn't be a he, it's still a bit early to tell. Females will also chest bump to establish dominance though so the behavior you've observed isn't really an indicator of gender.

Looks like a pullet to me. At three weeks I would expect more redness if she were a cockerel. That's not to say she couldn't be a he, it's still a bit early to tell. Females will also chest bump to establish dominance though so the behavior you've observed isn't really an indicator of gender.
I would absolutely love if it was a pullet. It’s getting so much extra attention because it’s semi isolated from the rest because they’re picking on it. It’s the odd one out 😢 comparatively, its slow to feather out 🤷‍♀️

Comb is starting to turn more pink now.. and it’s starting to look scruffy. I’m thinking this is a cockerel. Let me know your thoughts

Attachments

• IMG_2901.jpeg
    IMG_2901.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2906.jpeg
    IMG_2906.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2902.jpeg
    IMG_2902.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 14
I think at 4 weeks it is too early to tell unless you are extremely familiar with that particular breed. another 3-4 weeks and you should be able to see some definite signs of gender.

Back
Top Bottom