Gender help! 10 week old “Bluebell egger”

MotherOfCluckers

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2019
I purchased two “Prairie Bluebell eggers” from Rural King about 10 weeks ago. They look mostly like barred rock, and probably won’t lay blue eggs...but I’ve since learned to not purchase from box stores unless you want to be surprised.

I am fairly certain that one is a pullet, but I am unsure about this one. Help is appreciated! This chick is not as friendly as the other and has strange tail feathers. The tail was bare for a long time, and not due to plucking.

Attachments

• D93E34A7-6A5F-4E99-9AFF-DA3ACB93A805.jpeg
    D93E34A7-6A5F-4E99-9AFF-DA3ACB93A805.jpeg
    713.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 4E61060E-EF0E-42EF-8B6C-804BEB024AC7.jpeg
    4E61060E-EF0E-42EF-8B6C-804BEB024AC7.jpeg
    726.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 15C5983F-1E9A-4D76-877C-0374746EE15B.jpeg
    15C5983F-1E9A-4D76-877C-0374746EE15B.jpeg
    710 KB · Views: 91
  • 1A7C896A-C674-437C-826E-F269C7CFAEB4.jpeg
    1A7C896A-C674-437C-826E-F269C7CFAEB4.jpeg
    668 KB · Views: 86
Not sure what’s up with the tail. I’m also not sure it’s a cockerel for sure. The coloring is a bit darker, but not as dark as usually seen on Barred Plymouth Rock pullets.
Well, he isn’t supposed to be a barred rock, so there’s a chance he’s some crazy mix. I emailed Hoover’s Hatchery and asked if these were really blue egg layers and they assured me they are. Now, I don’t actually believe that, but they obviously do...

Well, he isn’t supposed to be a barred rock, so there’s a chance he’s some crazy mix. I emailed Hoover’s Hatchery and asked if these were really blue egg layers and they assured me they are. Now, I don’t actually believe that, but they obviously do...
Farm stores are notorious for mislabeling or mis sexing their chicks.

Farm stores are notorious for mislabeling or mis sexing their chicks.
Yes, and they didn’t have any labeled barred rock that day. I know that doesn’t mean anything. I was surprised the hatchery didn’t say that instead of assuring me they would be blue egg layers. I don’t know much about chicken genetics but it doesn’t seem possible for them to be that color and lay blue eggs.

E998BA91-5D56-439B-98EA-7A3C98A5F98B.jpeg
It looks like you have a cross of a Barred rock rooster and an Araucana hen. The pea comb and missing tail are from the hen and the barring is from the rooster. The single barring, dark wash across the feet and single center row of the pea comb suggest pullet. However, I have a similar bird that I thought was a pullet because of the same indicators which started crowing at 12 weeks so mixed chicks can fool you. The difference I see between your chick and the one I have pictured is the size and color of the comb. As well as my bird has the cheek muffs.

That's interesting, have never had a problem with them but I ordered by breed not by color of egg layer they were. If it is crossed with an Aracauna then it could, but it's not guaranteed lay a blue egg. Most cross breeds can sometimes surprise you and go with a different color from what i've seen, guess I will have to ask the folks that have EE babies out of my flock lol, I know the one I have lays a blue with hint of green egg

I very highly doubt that this is an araucana cross. They're really too expensive to just simply cross to make a barred blue egger. In addition, if he was a direct araucana cross, he'd have a pea comb, like the bird in the pic. The lack of tail is probably due to molting.

I am also on the fence about the gender. Its really light for a Barred Rock pullet, but its kinda dark for a barred rock cockerel. The problem with hatchery quality birds, is that differences like that are getting more common. A male BR should be much lighter than his female counterpart.

Back
Top Bottom