Gender Help For Mixed Breed Chickens

GAFarmGirl87

Songster
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
NW Georgia
I need a little advice here. Just picked up my flock on Saturday. 2 of my "hens" might be roosters. The breeder told me I could bring them back and switch them out for hens if they turned out to be roos.
The breeder said all of their chickens were mixes of the following, with a few being pure breed: Rhode Island Red, Black Copper Maran, Ameracauna & Orpingtons

Let me know what you think...

This one is about 3 months old (Also, I'm not sure about the breed here. Very unusual coloring!)

That's my rooster in the back, and the one on the right is a Black Copper Maran mix.
But what about the white one? It's about 3 months old.

Here's another picture showing most of my little flock:

cute flock! the pics are not the best for id'ing tho - the birds look wet - which affects how their feathers lay. The first one def looks like a roo - it has those huge roo legs & typical-only-for-a-roo red patches on it's wings. Also hens will usually be fairly even in their coloring (one pattern or one color) where a rooster often has more variety - your bcm roo will have bright red down to his shoulders, red patches on wings etc. I can't tell on the white bird. At three months they should be starting to form their saddle feathers tho (patch of long skinny feathers just before the tail) That is the true indicator....
good luck!
-gwen

The one in the first picture looks like a rooster and maybe a mix of a silver laced wyandotte. The white one looks like a cockerel to me as well with its curved tail feathers. It looks to be a little heavier than a leghorn, so maybe a rock?

The first bird with the red patches on the shoulders is 100% rooster--look at those long saddle feathers. The white bird would be easier to ID with a better photo showing comb and legs and stance, but it doesn't look quite right for a Leghorn to me.

First one is a roo. But I agree that the white one is hard to say as the pic is not very good and they are wet. If it has pointed hackle and saddle feathers it is a rooster, if not it is a hen.

Thanks everybody! I figured the colorful one was a rooster. It's a shame, cause he's so pretty! But I can't have 2 roosters. I'll take some more pics of the white one and post them. The sun is out today, and they are all dry, so I should be able to get a better photo.

Can anyone tell what sex these 2 are? They are Sussex bantam cross, I am thinking roosters?
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom