Gender help on 2 Olive Eggers (+ What is this hen?)

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
@chickielady you might want to take a peak too

I am usually better at gender guessing but these 2 are stumping me.

These 2 who we will call Beardie and Beardless need to be identified as pullet or cockerel. They are 11weeks old and Cuckoo Maran x Splash Wheaten Ameraucana

"Beardie"

"Beardless"

It's the best I could do the would not stop moving!

Both are cockerels, for sure. They are not Splash Wheaten crosses. All chicks from a Splash Wheaten would have a 'blue' gene. Also, a pure Ameraucana would not produce any clean-faced chicks.

Both are cockerels, for sure. They are not Splash Wheaten crosses. All chicks from a Splash Wheaten would have a 'blue' gene. Also, a pure Ameraucana would not produce any clean-faced chicks.

I figured they were cockerels.... The tail and newly emerging saddle feathers had me but I need to hear it from others.

These 2 hens were the only possible mothers of the 2 chicks. One is clean faced. If they are not Splash Wheaten what are they?

Last edited:
I figured they were cockerels.... The tail and newly emerging saddle feathers had me but I need to hear it from others.

These 2 hens were the only possible mothers of the 2 chicks. One is clean faced.
Those hens are Easter Eggers. They are not Wheaten, either. Looks like they may have recessive white. Definitely not Splash.

I figured they were cockerels.... The tail and newly emerging saddle feathers had me but I need to hear it from others. These 2 hens were the only possible mothers of the 2 chicks. One is clean faced.
Those hens are Easter Eggers. They are not Wheaten, either. Looks like they may have recessive white. Definitely not Splash.
That is extreamly disappointing to hear. I know they are not plain ol splash but I thought like Blue, Black, and Splash, Wheatens have (black) Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, and Splash Wheaten. Now I need to find a picture of a splash wheaten Ameraucana hen. This is blowing my mind...:confused: Here is the other picture I have of them not very good...

Last edited:
That is extreamly disappointing to hear. I know they are not plain ol splash but I thought like Blue, Black, and Splash, Wheatens have (black) Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, and Splash Wheaten. Now I need to find a picture of a splash wheaten Ameraucana hen. This is blowing my mind...
hu.gif

Here is the other picture I have of them not very good...
The rooster is Blue Wheaten. The hens are not any variety of Wheaten; regular, blue, or splash. Wheaten hens have cream colored neck and chests, and golden/wheaten colored bodies. The only way to tell which variety of wheaten a hen is, is to look at her primary wing feathers and her tail.
This gallery has some nice examples of what wheaten hens look like, for you to compare with your girls.
http://ameraucana.org/gallery.html

That is extreamly disappointing to hear. I know they are not plain ol splash but I thought like Blue, Black, and Splash, Wheatens have (black) Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, and Splash Wheaten. Now I need to find a picture of a splash wheaten Ameraucana hen. This is blowing my mind...:confused: Here is the other picture I have of them not very good...
The rooster is Blue Wheaten. The hens are not any variety of Wheaten; regular, blue, or splash. Wheaten hens have cream colored neck and chests, and golden/wheaten colored bodies. The only way to tell which variety of wheaten a hen is, is to look at her primary wing feathers and her tail. This gallery has some nice examples of what wheaten hens look like, for you to compare with your girls. http://ameraucana.org/gallery.html
Is there such a thing as "Splash Wheaten"? The ABC and the AA have no pictures of the Splash (Wheaten) variety. I know Splash is not a recognized color but it is a fact of breeding Blues (right?) Or am I saying it wrong and they are "Blue Splash Wheaten" and they look just like a Blue Wheaten? Sorry, I'm questioning everything now. :oops: Sorry this thread took a different turn! I just need to know what I have or lack of it. ;). I grabbed the beardless hen... So this is maybe a wheaten bred hen with recessive white? Or is she a cross. :he Supposedly these came from stock from a very well respected breeder who I will not name publicly (PM if you need to know).

Is there such a thing as "Splash Wheaten"? The ABC and the AA have no pictures of the Splash (Wheaten) variety. I know Splash is not a recognized color but it is a fact of breeding Blues (right?) Or am I saying it wrong and they are "Blue Splash Wheaten" and they look just like a Blue Wheaten? Sorry, I'm questioning everything now.
hide.gif

Sorry this thread took a different turn! I just need to know what I have or lack of it.
wink.png
. I grabbed the beardless hen... So this is maybe a wheaten bred hen with recessive white? Or is she a cross.
he.gif

Supposedly these came from stock from a very well respected breeder who I will not name publicly (PM if you need to know).

The clean faced hen is definitely not purebred. And for all types of wheaten, the hens are pretty much the same color, with the exception of the primary wing feathers and the tail feathers. That's were they have black, blue, or splash 'patterning'. Otherwise, they are all the same coloring over their body. A double dose of the blue gene (that produces splash coloring) does not change the overall wheaten color. It only modifies the black pattern color.

The clean faced hen is definitely not purebred. And for all types of wheaten, the hens are pretty much the same color, with the exception of the primary wing feathers and the tail feathers. That's were they have black, blue, or splash 'patterning'. Otherwise, they are all the same coloring over their body. A double dose of the blue gene (that produces splash coloring) does not change the overall wheaten color. It only modifies the black pattern color.
[/quote]

Thank you so much for explaining about the looks of the birds. I understand the basics of BBS but the Wheaten on top of that confused me a bit. Other than the beard, both hens are identical in body coloring. Looks like my plans for this year are a wash! You live, make mistakes, and learn from them. Thanks again for your time!

Thank you so much for explaining about the looks of the birds. I understand the basics of BBS but the Wheaten on top of that confused me a bit. Other than the beard, both hens are identical in body coloring. Looks like my plans for this year are a wash! You live, make mistakes, and learn from them. Thanks again for your time![/QUOTE]
You're welcome, and they really are beautiful girls, just not what you thought they were.

Back
Top Bottom