Gender identification help!

I have a Rhode Island red rooster and some leg horn hens. Based on my research, they would be Isa Browns. I know you can sex Isa Browns by their colors. Light brown/red would be females and yellow chicks would be Roos. I know they lose their yellow down and it turns to white feathers. Well every single egg I hatched out was a yellow chick, so based on that they all would be roosters. But I have some that do not have large combs and wattles! I am so confused now.

There are at least three genes that cause white in chickens, and only one of the three can be used to make sexlinks. Your Leghorns probably have different genes for white, that cause all the chicks to be mostly-white instead of leaving the daughters gold.

The rooster is a RIR mix, not a purebred RIR.

Judging by the offspring, your white leghorn hen has the gold gene. In order to make true red sex links, she would have to have the silver gene.
Thank you! I’m still learning about breeds and offspring. I was told he was RIR so I just thought he was pure blood. I’m glad to know that there’s a chance that some are pullets. 😃😃

Thank you! I’m still learning about breeds and offspring. I was told he was RIR so I just thought he was pure blood. I’m glad to know that there’s a chance that some are pullets. 😃😃
The chick in this picture is definitely a pullet:
Hi! I hatched out eggs from my flock in April. I have a Rhode Island red rooster and some leg horn hens. Based on my research, they would be Isa Browns. I know you can sex Isa Browns by their colors. Light brown/red would be females and yellow chicks would be Roos. I know they lose their yellow down and it turns to white feathers. Well every single egg I hatched out was a yellow chick, so based on that they all would be roosters. But I have some that do not have large combs and wattles! I am so confused now. Can anyone please help?!
I’ve attached a pic of one without a comb/wattle and a pic of oneView attachment 2720215 with.

Back
Top Bottom