Gender of chicken please?

Leghornchicken

Hatching
Nov 23, 2018
Hi, I would really like to know if this chicken (the speckled leghorn at the front) is a rooster or a hen. I have had mixed opinions and am desperate to find out as we certainly cannot have a rooster. Thanks

Attachments

• 32FB5C0E-D427-4CBD-885E-7D9981297481.jpeg
    32FB5C0E-D427-4CBD-885E-7D9981297481.jpeg
    436.7 KB · Views: 20
It's definitely a cockerel. A couple of the black ones in back look like they could be cockerels, too. The one on the far right of the four around the feeder is suspicious, and so is the one on the far left of the same group.
Thank-you, I am very new to this so I would appreciate you telling me why you think a rooster, just for further reference. Thanks

It looks like a cockerel/rooster because of the large comb and wattles that are much larger and redder than those of a pullet at a young age (older pullets can also have a large comb/wattles).

Thank-you, I am very new to this so I would appreciate you telling me why you think a rooster, just for further reference. Thanks
Birds of a Feather said it well. At the age of your chicks, large red combs are usually a sign of a cockerel. If the bird also has noticeable red wattles, that is another good indication.

Usually pullets don't get red combs/wattles until 16 weeks. There are exceptions, but in most cases this is the case.

Back
Top Bottom