gender of comet x comet chicks

teachermom24

Chirping
Aug 12, 2009
We have just hatched 9 comet x comet chicks in our homemade incubator and I'm wondering if it's possible to tell their gender by color. 3 are light yellow, 3 are mixed brown and yellow (one even striped!), 3 are brown.

This was actually our 4th hatch attempt with the result of only two chicks hatched successfully until this time. Our first chick, now about 4 months old, started out light yellow but now is pure white. We're guessing it's a rooster--correct? The second one, now about 6 weeks old, also started out light yellow, but after a week started showing color in the feathers, and now is mostly white but with a lot of coloring in the feathers. We have believed this one to be a hen since we were told the roosters are white, hens colored, but since reading here about crossing comets, I'm wondering if this one is also a rooster.

So, my question is there any way to tell gender in these double-crossed chicks?

Thanks, Kathy

Sex-link is for the first cross only.
Auto-sexing works for all generations as long as the breed stays pure.
golden cukoo marans, legbars, and welbars are auto sexing.

So does that mean the pure white one who is 4 months old could be a hen? Is the only way to find out to see which ones lay eggs?

Kathy

You should be able to tell by four months, based on the size and color of the comb and wattles, and the feathers. If the wattles are big and dangly, it is a roo. If the feathers are pointy on the neck and tail, it is a roo.

You should be able to compare hem to the flock you already have, and see how the feathers are skinny and pointy on the roosters?

Back
Top Bottom