1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender of my babies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by berysa, Oct 29, 2012.

1. berysa

berysa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    This is a follow up post of some post I made a few weeks ago, I think it's a lot more obvious now that I have 2 roos and 1 hen. Thoughts anybody?

[​IMG]
    I think this one's a roo. It looks like a Speckled Sussex, but I'm not quite sure. I've Googled some images for day old speckled sussex's and they looked completely different to mine. I think when this one was a chick it looked pretty much like the Light Sussex but with a small light orange patch near its butt.

[​IMG]
    A beautiful Light Sussex. I'm thinking hen?

[​IMG]
    RIR roo by the looks of it~

What do you guys think? :)

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    yes looks like an ss roo and light sussex pullet but I think the rir might be a pullet

3. berysa

Sep 6, 2012
    It's just that the RIR's tail is really long and pointy don't you think? Or is that typical of 2 month RIRs? :S

4. Nike

Nike Young&Beautiful

Jul 8, 2012
    My Coop
    i think the speckled sussex looks like a roo and the delaware is a girl. The RIR is hard to tell but I'd go with girl

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    1 is a roo I think, and 2 and 3 are pullets I think!
    [​IMG]

6. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

do you think the first one might be a orloff?

7. berysa

Sep 6, 2012
    I have no idea, when I ordered I asked for a sussex, but I didn't specify whether it was a light or speckled. Just thought it's funny how it looked a lot like a light sussex but actually turned out to be speckled!

8. Mattlime

Mattlime Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2012
    Bostic, North Carolina
    If you still cannot figure out if it is a rooster you can always look at the wings and see if they are even. If they are even then it is a rooster, and if uneven it is a pullet.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Orloffs have beards and muffs (to withstand the cold Russian weather, ya'know! [​IMG] ) and I think yellow legs. This bird looks to be clean faced and the white legs are a trademark of a sussex.

10. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry, forgot. just thought it's body type was a little different than a sussex. that and most young sussexs have less white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by