1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender of Rhode Island Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by scit, Feb 18, 2012.

1. scit

scit New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    Hello, I am new to this site and based in Australia. I would love to hear your thoughts on what sex you think our newest chook is. I was told by the breeder that she is a Rhode Island Red. We are hoping she is a girl as we live in a suburban area and have already had to return 2 rosters. I am worries by the green feathers appearing in the tail as these look a bit suspicious. The chicken is about 10/11 weeks old. The comb is still small so I am hopeful, but the feathers are a little worrying. What do you think? Thanks, [​IMG]

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

with that small of comb and wattles at that age id say girl. but kinda looks boyish. but im not good at RIR sexing. hopfully someone else can help :p

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm leaning toward boy, but not one hundred percent. Maybe post again in two weeks or so?

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a RIR rooster - and his comb/wattles were larger at that age. That doesn't guarantee it's a girl, though. However, I am thinking yours is probably a girl.

5. scit

scit New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    Thanks for the responses, I have taken some new photos today as I'm still not sure. The wattle and comb are still small, but there are definitely some pretty green feathers coming through the tail that look roosterish. I think the chook must be about 14/15 weeks old now. I was told it was a Rhode Island red, but I don't know how pure it is and I am in Australia so I don't know if our version of RIR deviates from the original American breed - I didn't expect green feathers. Sorry for the poor quality photos, he/she is a bit flighty and didn't like me chasing her around with my camera phone! Thanks for your help! Tracey [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That is definitely a rooster!

Heritage RIR do not have large combs compared to the hatchery birds. My girl is laying and has about the same sized comb as your boy.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  7. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    *take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I am definitely not an expert*

If your RIR is almost 3 months old, I'd lean towards it being a girl. My next door neighbor bought 8 RIR as day old chicks, and one turned out to be a rooster. I remember his comb being significantly larger than that by 12 weeks. Also, the wattles were definitely more pronounced.

Here's a picture of my neighbor's RIR when it was 7 weeks old. Note how you can really see the wattles on him, whereas on your RIR, I can't see wattles really at all.
    [​IMG]

On the other hand, yours does have something about it that doesn't scream pullet. Maybe it's the legs?

8. frazo96

frazo96 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    Looks like a pullet to me. Not sure though. But im leaning a bit on it being a pullet.

9. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Me too!! Definitely ;D

10. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Pulllet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by