1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender? Please help me figure him/her out

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jjohen, Aug 1, 2008.

1. jjohen

jjohen New Egg

Aug 1, 2008
    So I have been haunting this forum for months wondering if my "extra" chick for warmth( in my small mailing of three bantams) was a roo. These birds are all about 3.5 months old now. I am thinking of getting rid of "him" but I still can't make up my mind about "him." He is an EE and he has always been a bit bigger than the other EE I got, as well as more bold/curious. Also his comb is slightly bigger and a touch pinker (and has been for months) he has some iridescence in his neck feathers, but I am not sure if that is a sign or not. Also, I have heard so many stories of people’s sexed chicks turning into boys… so please tell me if any of the others look roo’ish. Thanks for your knowledge!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    yep, I think you have yourself a rooster. And a very nice one at that [​IMG]

woops, judging from everyone else's responses I think I was wrong [​IMG] oh well... live and learn i guess...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It can be hard to tell with EEs, but I don't think that one looks rooish. I'd wait a while before getting rid of it. I think by 3.5mos there would be more rooster signs.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

3.5 months... looks all girly there.

5. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Gorgeous EE gurls
    I think

Susan

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I think it's a girlie. My EE roo was most definitely a roo by 3 months old...

[​IMG]

7. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    It looks like mine and i am pretty sure mine are girls.

8. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    He or she is gorgeous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by