Gender please

jocoda

Chirping
Aug 4, 2015
5 chicks, 7 weeks old, all out of a barred rock hen except the black chick which is out of a black sex link hen...(don't think I got a pic of the black chick) All are out of a black sex link roo. So active! And colorful. Thanks

Was the rooster barred? If not, any barred chicks you have are male.

Edit: Whoops just caught that they are out of a black sex link roo, so he was barred. Then barring won't tell you, sorry! Can you get individual pictures of the chicks showing their combs? I'm getting a cockerel vibe from the red one in the third picture but it's hard to tell for sure.

Last edited:
Was the rooster barred? If not, any barred chicks you have are male.

Edit: Whoops just caught that they are out of a black sex link roo, so he was barred. Then barring won't tell you, sorry!
I think they said it was a black sex linked rooster.

OH..got the update....
sad.png

Yes..he's VERY  barred.  So all my barred chicks are female?  Awesome...

No, that's not the case. What I was saying was if the rooster wasn't barred, you would have made black sex links, and all the barred chicks would have been male. But since the rooster IS barred this is not the case and there's no way to tell via barring what genders you have.

I think they said it was a black sex linked rooster.

Yes, that's why I edited to say never mind.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

You do have a form of sex linkage there. Bear with me a minute.....

Your black sex link rooster has one copy of the barring gene. So, he gave a barring gene to 50% of his offspring. If the hen was solid, then you'd get half barred and half non-barred, regardless of gender.

But, you have barred hens. So, the hen only gives a copy of her barring gene to the male offspring. So you have 25% males that get a copy from each parent, 25% males that get a copy only from momma. You then have 25% females that get a copy from the father, and last you have 25% females that didn't get that copy from dad, and don't get any from momma. So, if you have any solid (non-barred) chicks from that cross, they're going to be female. Whew! But, the reverse (that all barred birds are male) is not true, you'll also have barred females. So, you can tell some pullets if you have any solid, otherwise you'll just have to grow them out and wait for combs, etc.

They're sure a cute bunch! I had a black sex link rooster as my main flock leader for years and loved the variety I hatched out.

welcome-byc.gif

You do have a form of sex linkage there. Bear with me a minute.....

Your black sex link rooster has one copy of the barring gene. So, he gave a barring gene to 50% of his offspring. If the hen was solid, then you'd get half barred and half non-barred, regardless of gender.

But, you have barred hens. So, the hen only gives a copy of her barring gene to the male offspring. So you have 25% males that get a copy from each parent, 25% males that get a copy only from momma. You then have 25% females that get a copy from the father, and last you have 25% females that didn't get that copy from dad, and don't get any from momma. So, if you have any solid (non-barred) chicks from that cross, they're going to be female. Whew! But, the reverse (that all barred birds are male) is not true, you'll also have barred females. So, you can tell some pullets if you have any solid, otherwise you'll just have to grow them out and wait for combs, etc.

They're sure a cute bunch! I had a black sex link rooster as my main flock leader for years and loved the variety I hatched out.
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom