Gender?...Truly Stumped! 12 weeks old

the barred one is a Dominique, the gray and rust is probably an EE and the last one is a Columbian something. What type of come? if rose, then she's a Columbian Wyandotte.
I'm so new and just learning so I have a lot of questions....please tell me all you know. Now, if the barred one is a Dominique, he/she has a rose comb. Does that mean I still have a chance that it's a pullet??? This is my VERY amateur research....and hope that I don't have to rehome 3 chickens that I love
Screenshot_2019-09-06-12-09-35.png

When you are just starting out with chickens, it's really hard to know if you should have a rooster at all. I tried to keep one because my first flock of 6, which I bought as day old chicks, included a cockerel. It was all fun and games until he and his favorite pullet ganged up on another pullet and scalped her. I was able to save her, but made Cockerel in Reisling Sauce with the aggressor. The next year one of my hens produced another cockerel. (I temporarily had a rooster from someone else's flock.) That one was really rough on my girls and they were all missing their feathers on their backside. I didn't want them going through winter that way, so I had to cull that one as well. I keep hearing people talk about their really great roosters, and I sure would like one too, but they are risky. And you really need about a dozen hens to one rooster.

I'm brooding 4 new chicks now and if one is a cockerel I'll try again. Sigh. I've had chickens for about 4 years now, but I'll never be seasoned enough to put up with a rooster that harms my hens.

I agree it's a personal choice and you should try whatever you want to try. Just be sure you're prepared to get him out of your flock quickly if you need to. Good luck!

I'm so new and just learning so I have a lot of questions....please tell me all you know. Now, if the barred one is a Dominique, he/she has a rose comb. Does that mean I still have a chance that it's a pullet??? This is my VERY amateur research....and hope that I don't have to rehome 3 chickens that I love View attachment 1900347
Unfortunately not. A Dominique female would be darker and would have significantly less comb and it would be paler at this point. How many weeks old are they ?

I think my advice would be to re-home the three cockerels. This is your first time with chickens, and raising a cockerel without any experience can be tricky. If you really want a rooster, wait until you have a year or two under your belt, and a handful of adult hens.
It's a little easier to convince a hormonal cockerel to behave if he has a flock of hens who don't take any nonsense keeping him in line.
That's just my two cents worth. :D

I think my advice would be to re-home the three cockerels. This is your first time with chickens, and raising a cockerel without any experience can be tricky. If you really want a rooster, wait until you have a year or two under your belt, and a handful of adult hens.
It's a little easier to convince a hormonal cockerel to behave if he has a flock of hens who don't take any nonsense keeping him in line.
That's just my two cents worth. :D
That sounds like reasonable and wise advice.

Back
Top Bottom